Cycling ? Thought I knew it all . . .

master.k.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Clinton Twp , MI
Cycling ?

I was told today that using tap watter will kill all the "GOOD" Bacteria in my filters/tank .

Example : I do 50% watter changes every week with out adding watter conditioner before I add the tap/city watter to my system .

Question : Will my tank -180gallons- with a FX-5 filter And 2 HOB Emperor 400's ever properly cycle using my current methods ?

Note : My nitrates run on the high side ammonia not a problem .

I was instructed to : Do only 30% watterchange per week , Pre mix and Use watter conditioners before adding tap watter and my tank and it will cycle rite out .

Note : Tank has been running for 6 months and is stocked on the heavy side with Africans and has heavy filtration .

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
When I was on city water, I ran tap water straight into the tank for w/c and add dechlorinator as I'm filling. This was at 50% wc. Never an issue. I know a lot of people who do the same thing and have never had a problem.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have never aged my water. When I was in a city with chloramines, I added 1/2 the conditioner half way through filling and the rest close to full. Now that I am on straight chlorine I don't use anything with a small, 10-20% WC. If I am doing a normal 50%+ I add it when done. I am planning on doing drip this summer and not worrying about it any more.

master.k.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Clinton Twp , MI
This : I do 50% watter changes every week with out adding watter conditioner before I add the tap/city watter to my system .

this Guy told me my tank is not cycled and that it never will be dew to the fact that the chlorine instantly kills/is too hard on the good bacteria .

Note : My water prams are never spot on , So I find his beliefs to passably play factor , My fish seam to be in perfect health .

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Cycling ?

I was told today that using tap watter will kill all the "GOOD" Bacteria in my filters/tank .

Example : I do 50% watter changes every week with out adding watter conditioner before I add the tap/city watter to my system .

Question : Will my tank -180gallons- with a FX-5 filter And 2 HOB Emperor 400's ever properly cycle using my current methods ?

Note : My nitrates run on the high side ammonia not a problem .

I was instructed to : Do only 30% watterchange per week , Pre mix and Use watter conditioners before adding tap watter and my tank and it will cycle rite out .

Note : Tank has been running for 6 months and is stocked on the heavy side with Africans and has heavy filtration .
If you have no ammonia and (high) nitrates you are cycled. I am actually not 100% sure what you are asking but "cycled" just means adequate populations of bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. Chlorine, for sure, kills bacteria (good and bad), as does chloramine. In a nutshell that is the job of these chemicals. Conditioner neutralizes these chemicals but that doesn't mean that not treating the new water will necessarily decimate your bacterial population. Especially with good biological media, like Matrix, plenty of bacteria can survive a non-conditioned water change, and they re-populate quickly.

That said, I often do greater-than-50% water changes. I use Prime, and I add it before or during the addition of new water. I never worry about adding new water if I am just topping up (e.g., if I have taken out a small amount of water to remove some uneaten food or whatever, or just topping up evaporation).

My view is the more water you change, the better, so long as you keep up with it. 30% weekly is not enough in my opinion for even a moderately stocked tank.

Daonni

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
nh
When I was on city water, I ran tap water straight into the tank for w/c and add dechlorinator as I'm filling. This was at 50% wc. Never an issue. I know a lot of people who do the same thing and have never had a problem.

I am one of those people.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
In my pretty well stocked 70 i do 30-40% wcs every couple days and runa huge pothos bush, my nitrates never go over 10ppms. Africans are tough but more WCs would help growth at least. I pre-treat the water w/ prime before using a gallon pitcher to get it in my tank out of a cooler, ive never done different, but ive never had an issue after a WC.. i was told thats the safest way and im too sketched out about a chlorine spike (they used more at the treatment plant for some reason) effecting things to not pre treat

As others said, if your reading nitrates, no nitrites or ammonia then your good. You may just want to increase your WCs or add pothos to keep your nitrate level lower

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Heyguy74

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Jackson, NJ
You should be using a water conditioner that removes chlorine or chola mines if you have them. When you say your parameters aren't spot on, what do you mean?

master.k.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Clinton Twp , MI
You should be using a water conditioner that removes chlorine or chola mines if you have them. When you say your parameters aren't spot on, what do you mean?
I just cant get my Nitrates down almost undetectable levels , This guy told me my 180 was over filtered and by using the method of mixing my conditioners while adding tap/city water at same time to my tank was sheerly killing my good bacteria and never allowing my tank enough good stuff .

This fella calmed that if I had a whopping amount of good bacteria in my tank all my Ammonia nitrite nitrate would all be 0ppm , I find that hard to believe that he clams he can grow such a colony of healthy bacteria that he only needs to change 30% and never more and every other week mind you to run a balanced tank with 0ppm across the board .

TO SUM IT UP SHORT : If there is a gigantic amount of healthy bacteria (Can you get away with not changing your watter as frequent while keeping your PPM's down to nill)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store