Lionfish invasion of the Northern Gulf of Mexico

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
That's a lot in one place. Had heard they were creeping north in the Gulf, but not as far as Pensacola. Looks like they removed them all.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
It's really sad to see that. Lionfish are an extremely invasive species that don't have any natural predators in the gulf and are wreaking havoc on all the reefs. It is believed that their population really exploded after fishkeepers started releasing their pets into the ocean when they didn't want them anymore.

thebichir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2014
usa
pretty cool!But no fish should have died :( they should have been moved to a bigger part of the water like a different place not where some people come kill them eek

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Someone should open a business selling their meat online. I know some local places sell it, but I'm in MN. Id totally pay $30 / lb for someone to ship me a bunch of lionfish filets. Help the economy, help the reefs, tasty meal!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
They are finding Lion Fish off the coast of Long island. They are traveling up with the gulf stream.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I would love some lionfish fillets!

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I would love some lionfish fillets!
I just wouldn't want to do the one filleting. I have been stung once it isn't fun. Hurts like a...something that hurts alot lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store