Thickness for 10'x6'x4'

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Hey guys. Id appreciate some input from people with experience in large builds. I have a container with the dimensions 10x6x4 and i want to turn it into an aquarium for my rays and other larger species. I cant seem to find the info i need to judge the thickness for my viewing window 10x4 which will be along one whole side on the container. I havent decided whether ill go acrylic or glass as price will be the determining factor. What would you suggest the thinkness should be for glass and for acrylic? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input... :D

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Acrylic 1.5 inches min more if you can. Glass I don't really know but I would guess similar. Not familiar with many big glass builds like that. The weight would be unthinkable.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Acrylic 1.5 inches min more if you can. Glass I don't really know but I would guess similar. Not familiar with many big glass builds like that. The weight would be unthinkable.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App
Thanks kev. Id feel more comfortable with acrylic. I was thinking 1" would suffice but thats why im inquiring, i wanna be sure that this holds up to the pressure. I may decide to cut down on the height of the viewing window if it means i can cheat on thickness and price of the window.

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
My mates fiberglass tank has a double glazed panel in it (12ft long x 4 ft high ) was 25mm thick each panel (50mm total) , 260 KG was real fun moving it then there was 2 more panels for customers tanks ! id imagine you will need something similar but I would definitely look into acrylic due to the weight with such a glass panel, if you dont have trolleys and cups I wouldn't even want to watch you try to move a glass panel that large its life threating.

also this calculator for glass.

http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store