Why are motoro stingrays illegal in California? (serious question)

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
Was it just due to another scare campaign spearheaded by things like Killer Piranha 3D? Are there people who actually believe they can establish themselves in Californian (and for that water, most of US) waters?

Mr.dempsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2012
Where the fish go.
My gymnogeophagus have a lot better chance of getting into the water ways lol cali laws are full of bs on a lot more then fish.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Cus they go by the when in doubt rule it out law. Haha, yeah sadley I'm in Nevada and in appears like some lazy law writers just decided to copy Californias rules ;/

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
FW rays could very well establish if released and cause HUGE problems for the environment. It's not always about human safety like many think, but due to possible over all negative impact.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
It is possible for motoro stingrays to establishing in California waters. It's not that cold and there are few non-native tropical fishes breeding in California. There are few springs that will stay warm all year and apparently someone dumped few aquarium fishes in these springs & established.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
You have to remember it's not just California. It's anywhere the waterways don't freeze

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
You have to remember it's not just California. It's anywhere the waterways don't freeze

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yup Believe it or not, there are few hot springs in Colorado, Idaho and Montana that have tropical fishes thriving in them.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I do not condone the release of any aquarium creature into local waters, but do not see fw stingrays as a potential problem. Mainly because of their low fecundity rate. Carp, cichlids, etc pose a far greater threat. I still have not figured out why piranha are illegal to have in Maine.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I do not condone the release of any aquarium creature into local waters, but do not see fw stingrays as a potential problem. Mainly because of their low fecundity rate. Carp, cichlids, etc pose a far greater threat. I still have not figured out why piranha are illegal to have in Maine.
Problem is that FW stingrays pose a public health threat. Just saying!

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
FW rays could very well establish if released and cause HUGE problems for the environment. It's not always about human safety like many think, but due to possible over all negative impact.
Do you really believe motoro stingrays can establish themselves in California waters? Really, really really? I don't mean to come across as mocking but do you really believe that? Last time I checked the most "tropical" fish that exist in CA waters have been a couple species of tilapia, which are completely different animals and tolerate a wide range of water conditions. There's a reason why CA invasives are mostly temperate and coldwater species (carp, bass, bullhead,

Problem is that FW stingrays pose a public health threat. Just saying!
Dogs pose a public health threat. Just saying! How many dogs kill people every year, and how many motoros kill people every year? I guess we should ban dogs too?

It is possible for motoro stingrays to establishing in California waters. It's not that cold and there are few non-native tropical fishes breeding in California. There are few springs that will stay warm all year and apparently someone dumped few aquarium fishes in these springs & established.
Cold is a subjective term. It's not warm enough in almost all areas of california, except what the Salton sea, which is already filled with invasives and salinization and bound to be doomed anyway.
And as for springs...what the heck could a motoro possibly eat to survive in a spring? Most hot springs are managed either way, there's no way a motoro will establish itself in such a body of water.

And let's play devil's advocate and pretend for a minute that motoros could establish themselves in Californian waters. Guess what, so could just about every other fish in that case. From goldfish to oscars to virtually any cichlid. Even any freshwater catfish-none of which are native to California, and all of these could cause HUGE problems for the environment. I guess the rest of the fish are on their way to the banlist, and some people don't care until it's their favorite pet that gets banned.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store