African Brown Knife

Derpy007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2014
USA
African Brown Knife in a 59g??? What tank mates? I wanna put a elephant nose fish, some kinda catfish, and a peacock eel. Are they compatibly?
Thanks!

Jlorenzo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Colorado
Elephant nose would not work because its a mormyrid (they both use electrical current to navigate the water) the signals will cross and the stronger of the two will bully the weaker one to death. The other fish besides the elephant should be fine.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Elephant nose would not work because its a mormyrid (they both use electrical current to navigate the water) the signals will cross and the stronger of the two will bully the weaker one to death. The other fish besides the elephant should be fine.
No. That is a myth. That's like saying because someone is looking at me, I can't see anything and I will die cause it. The electrical current doesn't cross or interfere. The fish will be perfectly fine together.

Jlorenzo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Colorado
No. That is a myth. That's like saying because someone is looking at me, I can't see anything and I will die cause it. The electrical current doesn't cross or interfere. The fish will be perfectly fine together.
I thought so too but I've seen it happen more than a few times. It seems the smaller of the fish always ends up suffering and dying off. I've never had two in any of my tanks. I'm sure there are exceptions and I would think the bigger the tank the better. I guess the only way to find out is to try. I've always wanted to keep a baby whale with my african brown knife but haven't because of many people telling me otherwise.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
The smaller often perish probably because competition. ABK aren't peaceful fish. They are very nippy and unless the other fish in the tank are dominant, then the ABK will nip and bully the others. Usually it isn't life threatening, but for rather peaceful fish like small mormyrids I can see it being harmful. Maybe

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
Is an ABK that much different then a BGK? I was told I couldn't keep a BGK and Elephant together. I would love to know the sure answer as I'm so torn between the two but if it's possible they could Co habitat that would be a dream.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store