Battery backups

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
What sort of backup do you want? If you are looking for heat and pumps for a multi day power outage your battery would be thousands of $$s. What a lot of people do is just buy a battery for an air pump to at least keep a sponge filter going (bio and oxygen).

If you are in a place that annually loses power for a few days (like my aunt in the woods of New Hampshire) I'd get a gas generator.

The other big difference is if it's also running for seamless transition or if you need to switch the plug yourself. An UPS (uninterruptible power supply) will set you back $1000 before you even start adding batteries to it.

Power back up is all about budget and goals man. What do I have? Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
I have not had to uses it but I have a small gas powered generator. A generator that will supply 2000 watts or so should be big enough to keep things alive. Not to mention your cell phone charged and enough lights so you do not have to uses candles or flash lights at night.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nothing beats a gen set. My 4.5K will also power the majority of things in the house as well. When the storms hit, 5 minutes work and life is going on like normal. Our last major outing lasted over 4 days. Batteries would never have lasted that long. A puresine Gen set ftw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store