Green Terror Gold Saum (Andinoacara rivulatus) breeding trio

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Well this is their third time laying eggs so i thought I'd post some pix. The tank is almost 200g, the 2 females were in it at first and they laid eggs even without a male, so i got them a male and he's now breeding with both of them. The first brood was eaten the second partially survived ( I pulled them out and set up a small 5g tank for the time being and I'm making a new tank for these lil guys now. Excuse the pix, they're just cell phone pix but I hope U'll b able to see smth :)
This is the first female
Photo0103.jpg
The second female (the eggs r on the vertical rock behind her)
Photo0105.jpg
This is the proud dad
Photo0107.jpg
and this is the almost full tank shot where u can see the locations of the two nests in the both lower corners
Photo0109.jpg

Photo0103.jpg

Photo0105.jpg

Photo0109.jpg

Photo0107.jpg

ChrisH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2007
newfoundland, Canada
Is that a loaches belly in the driftwood in the proud dad picture.? Also looks like a black ghost knife butt in there too aha?

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Is that a loaches belly in the driftwood in the proud dad picture.? Also looks like a black ghost knife butt in there too aha?
Yes there is 4 Clown loaches in the tank, they mostly lay, playing dead under the dw :) The BGK is my oldest fish in this tank I've had him since he was 2-3 inches big. He loves floating pellets (go figure!) and sails on the surface when I drop some in, I love him :D

Looks like a jewel..
There is also one jewel and a pair of breeding cons in the tank. Ever since I got the male GT their babies get eaten by him. Been thinking of giving them their own tank but I already have 60-70 of their babies that I don't know what to do with.

Beautiful male!!in my experience after the 3rd spawn it smooth sailing from there!
Thank you, he was a bit skinny when I got him but has since filled up nicely. He almost killed the Oscar that was the boss of the tank before him the first day he came in. This is their 3rd spawn so hopefully they'll remain a trio. The females lay eggs usually the same day, and about 3 weeks after the babies r gone. I keep the temp at 27 C, but drop it to 24 when doing water changes. It might be unnecessary but it doesn't bother their breeding routine either.

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
Like I promised here's an update of the fry swimming
These ones r the ones on the left, hatched on Thursday 20th march and were free swimming since yesterday

Photo0110.jpg

These two pix r of the second mom with the dad and babies, hatched 21st march free swimming since today

Photo0111.jpg
Photo0113.jpg

Photo0110.jpg

Photo0111.jpg

Photo0113.jpg

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
Nice job! Good looking Saums!

zoomed.com