Buffing and patching a 240g acrylic?

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
I got a 240g that has a 3" hole drill on the top back of the tank for bulk head.
I not going to be using bulk so how would I going about cover the hole up.
Also it need a little buffering how would I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance guys

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Sorry no idea but subscribing cause I am curious about the answer.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
Since its acrilic you should be able to patch it with a similar thickness piece of acrilic. Maybe a square patch on the outside of the tank with at least 1" overlap using the highest strength glue/binder. The other acrilic repair threads have recommendations for the best one, IIRC is the number 40. Other option would be to put the 2" bulkhead in ( threaded base) and screw in a 2" pvc plug. That way should you ever decide you want to use an overflow is an easy switch. That would probably increase resale value slightly too, should you ever decide to get rid of it.

As for buffing the tank, there is a fairly recent post where someone used a car buffer with good results.

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
I was thinking maybe using a screw able cap stud type to plug the hole so can have the option to use bulk head down the road. Do they sale 3" stud cap? I check youtube on buffering acrylic but want to see what's MFK members are doing to buff their tank.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
If you check out Aquacave or any other aquarium supply store you'll see that a 2" bullhead fits in a 3" hole like yours is drilled for. That's why I suggested a 2" bulkhead. The plug you can get at most any hardware store.

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
If you check out Aquacave or any other aquarium supply store you'll see that a 2" bullhead fits in a 3" hole like yours is drilled for. That's why I suggested a 2" bulkhead. The plug you can get at most any hardware store.
Thanks Michael, I will

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Novus polishing compound. And the hole you can either put a bulkhead in to maybe use later if needed or put a patch over. I like the idea of being able to use stuff later if needed.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Novus polishing compound. And the hole you can either put a bulkhead in to maybe use later if needed or put a patch over. I like the idea of being able to use stuff later if needed.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App
Where can I get Novus polishing compound. Can I buff by hand on lite to medium scratches?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store