I got this ph/thermonitor thing and can't figure out how it works?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The probe gets plugged (screwed)into the monitor you have you have hanging on the tank stand. Hard to tell for sure, need a bit of a close up. Different brands of probes can attach differently.
The other end of the probe (clear plastic end with some liquid in it) is hung in the water of the tank, and the digital readout will tell you the pH of the tank water, relative to its temp. Don't hang it in a bubble stream, but a little water movement around it is not a bad thing.
I believe the bottle of liquid, in the probe box, is a solution the helps the probe determine pH. If the probe is dry inside, it won't work, it needs to contain the liquid to do its job.
You may need to regularly calibrate the monitor with a couple known standard pH solutions.
I usually use a pH 7.0 standard, and pH 10 standard to calibrate because my water is normally on the basic side, but if yours is a bit acidic, you may need a pH 4.0 and pH 7.0 standard.
The other UXB type cord gets plugged into the digital readout box, and then into your computer, and will (with the right program, and regular testing) allow you to watch pH trends, and is an aid to help determine when you water is becoming acidic and you need to do a water change. If the pH is 7.5 after a water change, but drops to a pH of 6.5 in 2 days, then you need to change some more, because the uric acid from fish urine and decomposing food has overwhelmed the tanks buffering capacity, and turning acidic.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Checkout Neptune Apex controllers... it may be something similar to that. Basically a digital control module for your equipment. The two probes are for temp and for PH, but like previously mentioned, you need to fill the PH probe with a solution so that it can take readings. Pretty cool though...some of them have phone apps letting you control everything from anywhere you have internet.

LivingForTheFuture

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2009
Colorado
Yeah I have learned a lot messing with it and found a manual and video online, I guess this one hooks up to the internet as well you just need to download reef 2.0 and you can make it from there work with your phone from your home network. Atleast that is how it works the guy said it can do firmware updates but I have seen this same setup I have with wifi so yeah its awesome and it does a whole lot of things. Thanks for replying
Checkout Neptune Apex controllers... it may be something similar to that. Basically a digital control module for your equipment. The two probes are for temp and for PH, but like previously mentioned, you need to fill the PH probe with a solution so that it can take readings. Pretty cool though...some of them have phone apps letting you control everything from anywhere you have internet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store