black aro

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Catching the aro bug. I have a lei I am growing out and am considering a black. Can a black aro live comfortably in a 300g wide (3 ft wide) for life with two other larger fish (say 2 feet) or would this be pushing it. Thanks

Stucks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2014
Rockville, MD
It depends on what the other larger fish are, but id think a 300 gallon 3 foot wide tank would be fine for a black aro.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I agree. I would get the black considerably larger than the lei to improve chances long term if planning to combine them
thanks for the input. The plan would be to combine the two eventually. You think the lei would be the aggressor?

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
thanks for the input. The plan would be to combine the two eventually. You think the lei would be the aggressor?
I do. They are certainly a more aggressive aro..combine them at the same time if you can or introduce the lei to the black. Other active mid to upper water column fish can help to take their eyes off each other in moody moments. I think it's worth the try since you have other tanks to separate in a crisis. But again, the size differences will really help the chances in the longrun...My mix of 2leis and 2blacks worked for a few years till one of the leis decided to ruin the harmony by chronic aggression to the others out of the blue...I don't think I had gd enough size separation to have any possible long term chance

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I do. They are certainly a more aggressive aro..combine them at the same time if you can or introduce the lei to the black. Other active mid to upper water column fish can help to take their eyes off each other in moody moments. I think it's worth the try since you have other tanks to separate in a crisis. But again, the size differences will really help the chances in the longrun...My mix of 2leis and 2blacks worked for a few years till one of the leis decided to ruin the harmony by chronic aggression to the others out of the blue...I don't think I had gd enough size separation to have any possible long term chance
Thanks good info. Do you mind if I ask what size tank you tried this in?

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Thanks good info. Do you mind if I ask what size tank you tried this in?
They were in a 300. Things went south when the leis hit around 18inch and the blacks were about 22inch. Some say it's almost better if they're in a smaller tank like ours rather than say a 600 or so cause theres less room to make a big charge at each other. Tough to say. If you mix, don't be concerned if the lei gives him a bite on the anal or caudal fin here n there. Both of my leis like to do this randomly to each other and to the blacks. This is no big deal. It's when it becomes nonstop and an aro stop eating is when it became a problem. It's an entertaining mix to have and i hope you pull it off bud

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
How long is the tank? Wouldn't recommend anything less then 8 foot long.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
They were in a 300. Things went south when the leis hit around 18inch and the blacks were about 22inch. Some say it's almost better if they're in a smaller tank like ours rather than say a 600 or so cause theres less room to make a big charge at each other. Tough to say. If you mix, don't be concerned if the lei gives him a bite on the anal or caudal fin here n there. Both of my leis like to do this randomly to each other and to the blacks. This is no big deal. It's when it becomes nonstop and an aro stop eating is when it became a problem. It's an entertaining mix to have and i hope you pull it off bud
Then do you think only have two is less likely to work? If so I will just stick with the lei

How long is the tank? Wouldn't recommend anything less then 8 foot long.
It would be a 6 ft tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store