Last Fish Transaction - Not so good.....

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
As some of you are aware I'm getting my 265 and 500 back. The guy who bought my stuff wanted me to take over selling off the fish and the equipment. So I contacted a few friends and quickly sold off all but two Mono's and 6 Florida Gar. I took a video of the fish in the 500 and sent it to the two interested buyers. I attached the video. One Azul which happened to be the biggest had a bum eye which I disclosed with the interested buyers. The two Tem's were in the same tank but inside a mesh reptile looking cage so the bigger bass wouldn't eat them. I'm assuming their heads were scuffed up from rubbing on the mesh which I also disclosed with the interested buyer. I asked the owner of the fish if it was ok to discount his fish so I did. After I told the buyer he would take less, he said he would take them all including the other bass that were in excellent shape. As you can see in the video, all the bass look healthy, fins are fine, awesome colors, etc. I had one guy drive two hours to pick up his bass. Before he came I went and picked up the bass and brought them back to my apartment. I had the bass in the tote with an aerator for maybe 30 minutes. He came, looked at all his fish, we moved the fish to his totes, added more water for the trip and then he paid me in cash. He texted me when he got home and said everyone is doing good, I texted him back and then he texted back "they were really stressed on the trip home but colored right up after I acclimated them and put them in the 240 gallon. The next day after we texted a few times he told me the bass are all scared up and look pretty bad. We texted a few more times and then today at 5 pm he said he sent me a photo of an Azul with a sore and then another text that a Tem died. He said his water tested fine and all his other fish are good, then said none are acting normal. He said it makes no sense and then basically wanted me to do something for the loss of the fish. Then stated again the others are not doing well. Supposedly 4 are sick and one is dead. The other guy lost an Azul as well. The other guys Azul was in my 220 over night as well as the Mono and Kelberi but the Azul was the only one that died. The Kel has a few marks on him from the other fish but nothing serious. I've delt with both guys many times with fish, I buy from them, they buy from me, we tell each other about available fish on MFK, CL, etc. During the packing of the fish, I do everything I can to make sure all the fish have a good trip, I give everyone as much water as they need, tank water or faucet water, dechlor, extra totes, extra batteries and air pumps, etc. Not once have I ever not disclosed anything that was wrong with a fish or sold a "known" or "visible" sick fish. I also told the owner not to feed the fish because I had buyers and it may spike the ammonia in the tote during transportation. The owner of the fish has two RO systems on it, I think he said 75 gallons a day automatic water change system. His was is pristine condition, clear, no smell, healthy looking and fat fish. Not my water, nor the other two guys have an RO system. So basically the one guy with multiple "sick" fish and one dead wants his money back, the other guy is upset that his died, which anyone would be, but to me this is the chance that anyone takes when transporting fish. I've lost fish as well transporting. It's not the owner fault, sometimes it's the buyers fault but sometimes you just don't know what happened. In this case, I don't know what happened. When I got the first batch of fish I had 4 totes of fish, had them all separated so they had plenty of room, I don't like to pack fish in totes. I even had a 20" TSN die on my on the way home the same day the first guy got his fish. Is it the owners fault? Hell no it's not, it just died, possibly stressed out, who knows. All the fish were easy to catch, I used my jelly net as I always do, all the fish were well taken care of. The fish ranged from 10" to 14". I tried to explain to him stuff happens. I remember last year I bought all those Kel's form a guy in Chicago. He shipped them to me, I had them in my tank for over a month, didn't lose a single fish. I sold a big batch to the LFS, the next day they all died and I then sold him another batch at a cheaper price, three days later, all were dead except the one he sold the day he got them. So is that my fault? Did I sell the LFS sick fish? The owner of the LFS said to me, it happens, don't worry about it. He said he buys fish all the time that don't make it during shipments, etc. This guy also said they were bruised and had sores on them, can anyone see any bruises or sores on the fish? Yea me either. All these fish were on the same water system as well.

So now this has been on my mind all day, thinking I did something wrong. I can't refund him, they were not my fish, I done paid the guy Sunday as I told him I would. I got the guy deals, he wanted the biggest and best looking so I did just that for him, I held the fish for him so others couldn't buy, I went and picked up the fish so they didn't have to drive another 20 minutes south, used my gas and time, etc.

Oh yea, I also got a Tig from the owner and sold it to another guy, Tig is doing excellent, it made a 3 hour trip back to his house. I also have a small Motoro that is doing great and I bought a big Zonatus which is doing great as well. One guy is a member here but he isn't throwing a fit like the other guy is and he had like a 3 hour trip and the other guy had a 2 hour trip.....

[video=youtube;x0bOUNAbzH0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0bOUNAbzH0[/video]

Carpsalmon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Oregon
Fish is fish they die; and anyone that is gonna moan and complain needs to realize that's life. I've had an orino die on me from a 4 mile move in less than 15 min. Bass especially are sensitive to moves so that's not ur problem n the dude knows it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
It's like this - once you buy a fish, it's up to you to keep it healthy - and even so, sometimes they die. It sucks, but it's got nothing to do with you.
He saw them, liked them, and bought them. They were not dying while you had them. It's on him.

kiep

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
chicago, il
If the new environment is better, then it's ok. If not plus tress. Fishes will die that's normal.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Its pretty obvious he has some water issues. Don't take any blame.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I was thinking ammonia burn during transport possibly, maybe PH issues, IDK.

He just told me the Niger is dead and the other two Azul's are at the top of the water but the big Kelberi is fine so far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store