Piranha -red belly - bleeding gums

Vintagevamp2010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Piranha free zone
Hi I'm a new member and this is my first fish tank. Fish was very poorly cared for previously and had been fed steak. I've been addressing water quality and getting to know equipment hHAD FISH NOW FOR 4 weeks.

Shorter Version of Diagnostics Form:
1. Size of tank? 60cm cube

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? Currently 50ppm. Has been up to 120ppm. Have been doing water changes daily for last 3 days. Recently removed and cleaned crap from gravel substrate
d. pH, KH and GH? Ph 6.5
e. Test kit? No label on kit bought last week from aqurium store has bottles for testing not paper strips. Mars Fish Care on bottles

3. Temperature? 27. I'm going to get new thermometer /heater as current one is fungussy and may not be accurate it is working. But don't know to what level of accuracy (photo in earlier thread)

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW

5. How long the aquarium has been set up? Years before it arrived with me. With me 4 weeks

6. What fish do you have? One red belly piranha 9 inches 2 tetra

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? Tank arrived with fish it seems they have been in tank and together for some time

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Fake grass
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Fake stone background to the tank and one other rock small piece of drift wood

9. a. Filtration? Canister can't see brand haven't cleaned it as yet - have pictures and diagram of set up in my other thread on "ID this fish"
b. Heater? Yes but think it might not be working 100%

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? Daylight exposure then. Evening light single LCD lighting one small crn of the tank
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?

11. a. Water change schedule? At the moment have been doing daily water changes to keep nitrates under control
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water
d. Water conditioner used? Yes
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Vacuuming now during water change originally gravel had not been cleaned (ever? It was very grubby)

12. Foods? Fish was given to me with instructions to feed it an adult finger size portion of lean steak once every 10 days. Over last 1.5 weeks I have been feeding white fish fillet about half a finger every day of which he has been eating about half that amount. But nuzzling then leaving it. He is not eating in front of me. Tonight seems very hungry but spitting out the food. Have attempted to feed worms yesterday and today which he sucks in and spits out
How often are they fed?

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?one half of his lower gum looks inflamed it is a red colour. Yesterday it was one quarter of lower gum so size of inflammation area has doubled
b. Appearance of poop? Don't know
c. Appearance of gills? Previous MFKS Have said fish has gill curl. But not too bad

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? Yes I have added salt to the water one tablespoon as part of a 40% water change yesterday and again today
b. What meds were used? None

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Do people really do this to fish?
Your other thread brings up these points.

Lips are cut.
Gill curl is obvious
In rough shape

Keep the water temp consistent at 78-80° with heater
Do weekly 50% water changes with dechlorinater
Piranhas prefer dimmer light or none, with consistent photo period on a timer
Feed white fish fillets like talapia, smelt, swai, catfish cod etc and some pellets
Feed every couple days
Make sure to remove uneaten food
Assuming your tank is cycled and has no ammonia or nitrite
buy a freshwater test kit for nitrate, ammonia and nitrite to make sure parameters are in check! API and Sera make decent ones.

Keep everything consistent for this fish, lips wont grow back but you may be able to give this fish a happy, healthy space for the remainder of its life if you put in the work!

BTW removing lips reveals the teeth and some morons think this is cool but in reality its very cruel and unnatural!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I would continue with the water changes , also though I would take that filter apart and clean it if you haven't yet ... that most likely is the problem with the super high levels you are getting. Bad bacteria could be building up in the filter. Just unplug pull the hoses out of the tank and take the top off . Rinse the sponges that are in the filter with tank water (5 gallon pail) . The fish is showing the redness because of the bacteria build up I assume. Your filter is most likely just pumping in the bacteria into the tank. With these sorts of fish you need to make sure the filter is clean. Especially if this fish was fed steak constantly. It has horomones and bad bacteria in the steak. I would also suggest maybe replacing the sponges altogether because of the overall condition of the tank.

Vintagevamp2010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Piranha free zone
Thanks all. Especially for the how to on the filter. Redness has subsided quite a bit during the day. I'm a definitely putting in the work.. There's no nitrites or ammonia. I'll get some black fabric to cover the rear and half top of tank. Cheers all.

Vintagevamp2010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2014
Piranha free zone
Update to the bleeding gum area. This has cleared up completely to be replaced with some razor sharp fangs. I think the lip or gum area was growing over the teeth. Now there is no bleeding and very pristine fangs. I'm not suggesting that these are new teeth rather they are now fully exposed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store