Acrylic tank and Overahng?

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
Hey Gang,

I have a 6ft, 120g acrylic tank that I'm wanting to place temporarily on a dresser. BUT the tank ends will hang over it by 3" on either end.

Would this be okay, or will I need to build a support platform to go in between the tank and Dresser?

Any throughts and brainstorming or Experience would be great.

Andrew

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Dressers are not designed to carry 1200 lbs on their top. Even if the 3" was not an issue, I wouldn't trust it on a dresser.
+1 i have a 29 gallon on a dresser and I'm on edge let alone something way more heavy. And overhang is never ok with tanks you'll just end up with a disaster

Sent from my VS840 4G

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Pine 2x4s have vertical beams going floor to base designed to handle 4000 pounds. Even if cherry is stronger than pine it doesn't have the same construction principle.

If you want cheap and fast go cinderblock.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
Gotcha, thanks.

Going to just ahead with the inevitable and build my usual stand. Avoid any future headache. 1 month is not worth any mishaps. Especially being that a $1000 group of WC fish will be going in it.

May as well bust my hump for the next two days doing it right. It will take some moving of furniture, cleaning and building but will be worth the peace of mind in the end. And will be less stress over all having to move the colony again soon.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Good call- doing it right the first time is always the way to go.

I've seen acrylic tanks that hung over makeshift stands and often times you could see that the acrylic had flexed (sagged in areas where it was not supported). This puts stress on the seams but will create even more stress when you place the now deformed tank on a proper (planar) stand.

Mastiffman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
MI.
TropheusAndMore.com
Thanks!

Just got a back a little while ago. Got Lumber consisting of 9- 2x4's, 2- 4'x8'sheets of 1/2" Birch, 2lbs of deck screws, Bottle of Elmers Wood Glue Max, PVC Plumbing parts to fit a Quiet One 6000 to a Red Established Sea Ocean Clear Canister and have brand new FX5 hoses coming in the mail Thursday.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I'm just curious, would it work if it was a glass tank. I would never try it, but I have seen people post pictures here with overhanging tanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store