Reference sites for plywood tank sizes?

giveneausername

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
New York
Hey everyone, I'm new here and trying to plan out some dimensions for a rather large plywood tank. I was planning on a 3' width, ~2' height, and a length of either 10' or 12'. My biggest concerns are how I could fit 2x55g DIY sumps underneath the tank, which is why I'm undecided on the length of the tank. if the tank is 10x3x2, it will be about 370 gallons, and 12x3x2 is 450 gallons. Is here a site that I can use to determine the thickness of glass or plywood required? Will it require a thicker plywood if I need to join 2 pieces of plywood together on the front, back and sides? Thanks everyone for your help, Id love to talk about any other things that involve tanks or whatever!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sross

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Ohio
Your best bet is to take a deep look in the DIY section here and your welcome to take a look at my build that I have a link to in my sig. I've had a lot of luck looking for information just by googling Plywood aquariums. If you need to have joints in your plywood I would used two layers of 1/2 or 5/8 plywood and glue them when sandwiching them together and stagger the joints. Also with a build that long I would use 2x4 framing with the plywood.

giveneausername

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
New York
Your best bet is to take a deep look in the DIY section here and your welcome to take a look at my build that I have a link to in my sig. I've had a lot of luck looking for information just by googling Plywood aquariums. If you need to have joints in your plywood I would used two layers of 1/2 or 5/8 plywood and glue them when sandwiching them together and stagger the joints. Also with a build that long I would use 2x4 framing with the plywood.
Thank you! By framing, do you mean something like this? http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?551829-7-x12-Plywood-Build-For-My-Rays I'm pretty much just fantasizing about the future, trying to get some dimensions planned out, so I can just run to a store and go through a list, saying "I need 4x 4'x8' 3/4" thick plywood boards, 20 x 2x4x10's, etc. how much will this cost me?" I'm probably going to try to do a ton more research before it's even a possibility. I've built stands before, my relatives have built barns, my father e

giveneausername

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
New York
Even built one of our old houses. I'm sure I can get help with woodworking if need be. I'm probably going to try to get a "small" (haha) monster tank, probably a 4'x2'x2' 120g for some plecos before I try anything like this. Then I'll have a grow out, some hands on experience with sumps and drilling tanks and all. It's a long road before anything like that happens!

sross

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Ohio
Thank you! By framing, do you mean something like this? http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?551829-7-x12-Plywood-Build-For-My-Rays I'm pretty much just fantasizing about the future, trying to get some dimensions planned out, so I can just run to a store and go through a list, saying "I need 4x 4'x8' 3/4" thick plywood boards, 20 x 2x4x10's, etc. how much will this cost me?" I'm probably going to try to do a ton more research before it's even a possibility. I've built stands before, my relatives have built barns, my father e

You could do something like that. I was a actually talking about 2x4 framing like I did with my build. Basically built like you would build house walls and floors. The example you posted would be ideal for a very large tank in the 1000 gallon and up range. It makes a very heavy tank and isn't really necessary for a shorter build with less pressure being applied to the side. The tank that I built has 2x4 framed sides with 2 layers of plywood and the base is built with 2x10s and a double layer of plywood. Its a good idea to start small and move your way up. My first plywood tank was a 60 gallon along with a couple acrylic tanks that I built and currenty a 450 gallon. Im alway planning for bigger and better tanks that I can build someday.

giveneausername

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
New York
You could do something like that. I was a actually talking about 2x4 framing like I did with my build. Basically built like you would build house walls and floors. The example you posted would be ideal for a very large tank in the 1000 gallon and up range. It makes a very heavy tank and isn't really necessary for a shorter build with less pressure being applied to the side. The tank that I built has 2x4 framed sides with 2 layers of plywood and the base is built with 2x10s and a double layer of plywood. Its a good idea to start small and move your way up. My first plywood tank was a 60 gallon along with a couple acrylic tanks that I built and currenty a 450 gallon. Im alway planning for bigger and better tanks that I can build someday.
Ok, I understand. I was on mobile and couldn't look at your post at the time, but I saw what you mean now. It looks really nice! I've been thinking a lot about it, and I'd probably try building a 120 tall first out of plywood, use it for plecos. Because they're bottom dwellers, I plan on getting a 55g tank from petcos dpg sale, and using the pane to cover the bottom of the tank. They'll be like 3" at the top that aren't visible, but It won't matter. I'll be doing tons of research before I even attempt that. It'll give me tons of experience with making overflows and a sump and all of that stuff before I go onto something that could potentially ruin a house if it fails. Thank you so much for your help, I'll keep looking at stuff and researching the crap out of plywood builds. Maybe i should post is specifically in the filtration sub, but, on one of their stickies, they mention a flow curve. Do you know how I would find that for individual pumps? With the stand, the tank would likely be 5' tall at the water level. Sorry for a million questions!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store