Opinions on 29 Gallon Biocube Stocking

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone,

Couldn't give up on a great price on a biocube. Always thought of trying a biocube as it looks very unique. Ive done freshwater for about 5 years and salt for 2 years. So now Im thinking of going back to salt but this time on a smaller system which I have heard are harder to control. The system Im buying already comes with one of the upgrades in filtration from www.mediabaskets.com and now Im considering a tunze 9002 skimmer or refuge or more media not sure.

Im trying to think of ideas on what to stock it with would like opinions from members who have a similar size tank or especially an oceanic biocube.

My idea of stocking is as follows:

29 Gallon Bio Cube with Stock Lighting and Upgrade Filtration

After cycling the tank with ammonia drops dry rocks will be added and so on...

Fish:

1x McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse
1x Pair Of Clownfish
1x Purple Firefish
1x Scooter Blenny or Mandarin (Eventually after months of tank has been established or find an ORA Mandarin)

Inverts:

-Hermits
-Snails—no turbos
-Nass Snails
-Rose Bubble Tip or other hardy clownfish friendly anemone depends on lighting OR Can rely on a coral to host
-Cleaner Shrimp

Corals:

Soft:

-Mushrooms
-Toadstool
-Zoa

Lps:

-Frogspawn or hammer or both
-Brain Coral

Sps:

-Pink Birds Nest
-Red Montipora

Very open to suggestions as well as changes.

Questions:

-The only thing I really hate about the biocube is its power compact lights. Do you think the system will be able to handle the corals mentioned especially the sps corals mentioned? The sps corals mentioned are apparent some of the hardiest ones as well as well as don't need as much light as other sps.
-Whats your opinion, Tunze Skimmer 9002 with upgraded cup or refuge or extra media personally I want to go with skimmer.
-How does the fish stock look? Can I add another small fish or two?
-What would you recommend a water change schedule for this tank was thinking of 5 gallon water changes bi weekly? With reef crystal salt or Nutriwater (if cheap)
-Any way to upgrade the lights with out spending a fortune?
-Best test kit, I always used API?

Thanks

Anyone have a oceanic biocube post pics will help as well as what kind of corals have you been able to grow in it

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Answers The best I can -

No, PC lighting does generate enuff UV A + B radiation needed for stony corals to grow it's symbiotic algae.

Skimmers good, your only skimming a 29 gal tank. Use R/O Di water + pellets and you won't produce tons of skimmate anyways.

Fish stock can get tricky - in theory your Almost okay however reef fish can be overly territorial. The problem that might occur is the mandarin and wrasse - they both eat pods, the wrasse much more aggressively. Bottom line tho will be nitrate and phosphate production with stony corals - .05 or less po4, 5 ppm or less nitrate.

Monitor nitrate, if nitrate builds switch to 5 gal w/c's weekly. Use R/O DI water for stony corals, stick to basic SW Crystals til corals start absorbing calcium then switch to reef crystals least your water will become too hard.

T5HO isn't bad for smaller tanks but I'd go stronger than recommended and upgrade the stock bulbs, LEDs will be worth every penny.

Best test kits IMO - Red Sea sand Salifert - if you do shrimp get an iodine test as well as dkh, cal., mag, po4, and nitrate. Don't waste your money on ammonia, nitrite, or ph API is as good as any at testing those.

Lastly I would caution you to mixing sps and lps - lps are pretty aggressive long stinger corals, sps on the other hand needs a lot more flow so much that it might kill off the lps. Honestly I wouldn't even include softies or anemones in sps current it's too much. In the long run your better off with softies, nem, and sps. If your tank was 2-3 ft deep and 6 ft to 8 ft long it would be easier to create different zones for the different types of corals.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Thanks everyone for your info however of coarse the plan was called of once again...having no lucks with tank upgrades or downgrades so far. Called up the guy and told him wouldn't be able to pick it up. If anyone is interested he is selling a 29 gallon oceanic biocube tank and stand with zero scratches or nicks in the stand as well as upgraded media basket---all for $200 probably $400 in savings....let me know can give you his info, my lost is your gain lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store