very newbie questions

suzuki4life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2012
Hanover, PA
Ground up build despite I bought the tank

I picked up a super cheap 150 gallon tank (24x48x30) which will need resealed.

Because of costs I will restrict this to a freshwater build. (I'm not really looking to spend $20+ for each fish)

I am asking for recommendations on the following items:

A good "how to" video on resealing the tank.

If this was your build, what filters/equipment would you buy? (I'm looking for easy to deal with and reliable- recommended vendors for the equipment would also be appreciated)

Since this tank is mainly for my daughter (and myself), I am looking for unique and brightly colored animals for the tank. What would you recommend?

I know this gets asked over and over but I do appreciate your input.

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
Make sure that you purchase silicone sealant made for aquariums and not some to be used in bathroom remodeling and remove as much of the old sealer as you can with a razor unless you are sure where it leaked from. Are you sure that it needs to be re sealed at all? Either way, I'd test fill it in a safe location...like outdoors and look for leaks there instead of discovering a leak in your living room.

suzuki4life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2012
Hanover, PA
so any advice on filter?

I'm thinking a center drilled bulkhead leading to a eheim 2217 for $140 from thatpetplace. Or should I do dual bulkheads (one at each end) and create a flow/current?

But what heater is recommended?
Do I need other pumps?( water or air?)
I have an old tube style light I can use but I would like to upgrade to L.E.D. lighting in the future. Which one to buy? Which ones to avoid?

Lyrek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2013
Canada
If you want colourful fish I would get a few of these:
melanotaenia2.jpg Boeseman rainbowfish

melanotaenia2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store