Rainbow Belly Pipefish?

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
Does anyone have experience with these FW pipefish? The scientific name is Microphis Deocata, and they are quite stunning. Here is a picture of one;

download (1).jpg

I can't seem to find much information online, are these even available in the pet trade? I've mostly just seen Dorithys Martensii available for sale at places like Live Aquaria.com. Any ideas?

download (1).jpg

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
I rarely see them pop up, but I have kept them in the past.
That is a photo of a male carrying eggs. They can be bread in aquariums. They need very calm/still waters. They require live food; I would start a couple cultures of daphnia. You can keep them with freshwater shrimp, and I have heard that they will pluck the eggs from under berried shrimp. Aside from shrimp and snails, they do best in a species only tank. Mine would lurk in floating water sprite most of the day, constantly looking for food.
Most of the available pipefish species are brackish, however, this is a fully freshwater species.

USMCVET

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2020
I'm looking to purchase several Rainbow Belly Pipefish. However, I cannot find them available ANYWHERE....
I would even settle for a different variant of Microphis Deocata if the Rainbow Belly isn't possible to find.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Following because same eventually; although my main interest is in Doryichthys martensii tbh.

U USMCVET , some fish are incredibly seasonal. it might be a long while (up to a year) before you find them. But when you do, let me know!!!!

Reactions: USMCVET
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store