Need help with 300 gallon

CCSmith891

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2011
Shreveport, Louisiana
Hello everyone. I have been a member here for quite some time, but I think this is my first thread. I have a 300 gallon that was set up for 4-5 years. The last fish that I had in there died around 3 months ago, and I have not put any other fish in there since then. I tested my levels about a week ago and my nitrates were extremely high, and my ammonia and nitrates were at 0. I did a 70-80% water change and my nitrates dropped a bit. I did a 100% water change and I now see a small amount of ammonia. I'm assuming that all of the beneficial bacteria are dead and the left over waste is starting a cycle? I'm not too sure how long bacteria survive without fish producing waste. My question is what do you recommend I do in order to get it ready to put fish in? Should I add some dithers and let them cycle it or is it like a mini cycle? I'm just a little confused because there was no ammonia before I did the water change, and I haven't had fish in there for months. Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
I'd suggest adding ammonia and see what happens (aka test daily). as if you were starting from scratch.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
I'd add something like Seachem stability depending on how much ammonia you are seeing. If the ammonia want that high maybe add some and then add the stability to kick start the cycle and keep checking it daily.

Mr.dempsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2012
Where the fish go.
Check your tap water, also if they tank did lose its BB if you have other tanks running or a have a friend with a tank get some bio from them and add it to help seed the tank.

CCSmith891

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2011
Shreveport, Louisiana
Ok thanks for the input everyone. Yes the pump has been running since it had fish in it last. I put some nutrifin cycle in there a few days ago when I first saw the ammonia show up after the water change. I do have a 55 gallon set up with a little female dovii. I'm trying to get the 300 ready to move her into so I can start looking for a male. I will get some bio out of the 55 and probably buy some cheap fish to help with the cycle. I appreciate everyone's help!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store