Pair of Jack Dempseys

Seahorse8383

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I have a pair of Jack dempseys that have been together for a little over a year. Up until now they have been breeding on a monthly basis. I recently moved their tank to my bedroom and added 5 serpae tetras and 5 black fin tetras just to add movement to the tank. They have not spawned since I moved them. What could be the reason for this? They still get along just fine. They just will not breed. Advice please .

Sent from my SCH-R760 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ChrisH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2007
newfoundland, Canada
I'm not 100% on it but any added stress on a finicky fish could cause them to not want to breed do to the burden of the parenting. With these other fish and the move I'm sure the jacks just need time to feel at home again. Convicts will breed if you pour them into a shoe..but in my experience with jack dempseys they are pickier and more cautious. How Long has it been?

js302

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
England
how big is the tank ?
has water quality deteriorated ?
have you changed their feed ?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
You said you moved the tank to your bedroom. Maybe they need there privacy to spawn :) some what being "tongue in cheek" but if they see you stirring in the night they may be to skittish to worry about breeding? Just a guess.

Since you said they were spawning so much what are you doing with the fry. I have Firemouths spawning every few months and I cant seem to get rid of the fry.

Seahorse8383

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Well they are not very good parents so they always end up eating their fry when they are ready to breed again. I actually want to try and take some of the fry out and raise them myself.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Well they are not very good parents so they always end up eating their fry when they are ready to breed again. I actually want to try and take some of the fry out and raise them myself.

Well that takes care of that issue LOL.

Seahorse8383

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Yeah it does, I just let them do what they do. I enjoy watching them take care of the fry to just eat them so they can start all over again. It just cracks me up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store