Sump & Overflow Setup for 450 Gallon

AltecInc

Feeder Fish
Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Hi MFK,

I'm upgrading my 6'x2'x2' with a 10'x2.5'x2.5' and I'm looking to check the size of my overflows and sump before committing and having my tank drilled.

I'm set on having a weir/s installed and having the base of the tank drilled, as I want the tank as close to the wall as possible.

For my return pump I'm looking to get a Laguna PowerJet 2400, which should give me around 1800 Gallons per hour at my return height height of 5'.

I'm looking at a 6'x18"x18" as my sump, with 4x 2" drains and 2x 1" returns.
With the returns and overflows being split between 2 weirs both with 2x 2" drains and a 1" return. With each weir being 2' from each end of the tank.

Any issues with this intended sump and overflow setup?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
That is an extremely low turnover rate with that pump. 1800 GPH only turns 4 times per hour. I would suggest two of these pumps, one to each return. I have two of those pumps. Although they are quiet and energy efficient, they really lose a lot of flow after a year.

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
4x turnover is plenty for your setup.. Of course your gonna have those that say 10x but, that's more for smaller tanks

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
4x turnover is plenty for your setup.. Of course your gonna have those that say 10x but, that's more for smaller tanks

Ummm, what??? 10X is ideal for larger tanks but not necessary smaller tanks. If not a high flow rate, you will have 'dead spots'. What kind of fish are you keeping? You could always buy h.o.b. overflows instead of drilling your tank but obviously not as efficient. I use a Tetra pond pump 3600gph from Menards. $150 regularly, $80 off season or with smooth talking. Works great on my 190 and on my 300. Bought my first one a couple years ago and haven't had even the slightest issue with it.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Also depends on how much bioload you have. You could do 4x turnerover with a lighter load and add powerheads to direct flow towards the drains/filters.

Personally I prefer 10x or greater due to the stock i have. I use 2x Laguna 2400 max flos on my 360 and 1x Laguna 4280 on my 270. I use 2x 2.5" drains fitted to 1.5" bulkheads and 1.5" pvc pipes on both setups. 125 gallon sump on the 360G and new 100 gallon sump on the 270. I also have diy spray bars for all the returns.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Here's a pic of my new sump. 100G 48"L x 24"W x 20"H

uploadfromtaptalk1395268970900.jpg

Redoing my plumbing and installing this bad boy this weekend.

For your 450G I'd recommend two laguna 2900s to obtain 2245 gph each at 5' with 4490 gph total.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
Ummm, what??? 10X is ideal for larger tanks but not necessary smaller tanks. If not a high flow rate, you will have 'dead spots'. What kind of fish are you keeping? You could always buy h.o.b. overflows instead of drilling your tank but obviously not as efficient. I use a Tetra pond pump 3600gph from Menards. $150 regularly, $80 off season or with smooth talking. Works great on my 190 and on my 300. Bought my first one a couple years ago and haven't had even the slightest issue with it.

I think your confusing current or flow with turnover.. Turnover is how many times it runs through your filter system.. Yes, 4x total current flow usually isn't good enough cause there might be dead spots.. I use aqueon 950gph power heads in my 300 to create a vortex around the center overflow.. My return pump from my sump is a 2200 gph but, around 1800gph at 6ft. Head.
My point being I'm pretty heavily stocked (6 good sized cichla,and 24in silver aro) and Params are perfect with only 5-6x turnover.. My sump has a crap load of media, trickle over bio balls,ceramic balls,scrubbies, then through over a gallon or matrix.. I'm a firm believer that the water shouldn't be too fast going through the media to be most effective.. I use this 4-6x in my 300,240,150, and my 800 lanai pond all with great success.. Just my experience

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I think your confusing current or flow with turnover.. Turnover is how many times it runs through your filter system.. Yes, 4x total current flow usually isn't good enough cause there might be dead spots.. I use aqueon 950gph power heads in my 300 to create a vortex around the center overflow.. My return pump from my sump is a 2200 gph but, around 1800gph at 6ft. Head.
My point being I'm pretty heavily stocked (6 good sized cichla,and 24in silver aro) and Params are perfect with only 5-6x turnover.. My sump has a crap load of media, trickle over bio balls,ceramic balls,scrubbies, then through over a gallon or matrix.. I'm a firm believer that the water shouldn't be too fast going through the media to be most effective.. I use this 4-6x in my 300,240,150, and my 800 lanai pond all with great success.. Just my experience

? Flow and turn over are directly related. If your return pump is big enough, say 10x, you don't need circulation pumps. Also, if your sump system is big enough then it makes up for the high flow rate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store