Acclimating stingrays

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Well I have some stingrays coming in and wanted to touch on the squirt and dump method as this will be the longest trip I have had fish shipped. If the flight to the airport is 12hrs and the customs paperwork and drive home add another 2 1/2hrs or possibly more. Would it be beneficial to bring a tub of treated water with a bubbler and just squirt and dump the rays into the clean water tub. Any reason this can't be done? If the rays are stressed wouldn't I be better off doing this then waiting all that extra time for the completion of the paperwork and drive home to just see that I left them in the bags too long and possibly losing them due to lack of oxygen and ammonia burn?

Need suggestions fast as they are shipping in 2 days.

Rays are about 6 to 7"

CAN PRIME BE USED FOR THE SQUIRT or DOES IT HAVE TO BE NOVAQUA and AMQUEL. I use prime and neither of the last 2 products but they can be bought if need be.

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Never done it before, but I would do what your saying. I would want to get that ray out as quickly as possible. Just bring some extra water, float the bag while your doing what you need to do add some water to the bag and then dump it in for the long trip home.

No expert though so take with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Blk I would do it exactly as you said with the squirt and dump method on site when you pick them up from shipping. Get them out of that water and into something better.

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
I would not do anything to them at the airport unless they are in great stress.If at the airport and they need to be moved remove them from the old water and put them into fresh water.DO NOT Add water to the bag and bring them home in it.The amonia level can raise very high during shipping also making the water more acid. If you dump new water into a old bag you can lower the acid level which will make the amonia more toxic to the ray.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
You are only talking 14 1/2 hours which is hardly any time. I would leave bags sealed just open boxes to verify the bags have not busted then leave them alone. Pulling them out at the airport and dumping into tubs then driving home to do it all over again is far more stressful to the ray than just leaving them alone. Bring a tub and water for an emergency situation where a bag has busted and is leaking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Agree with Fish Dog. I've received rays that have been in transit for 40+ hours. I check them at the airport to make sure they are still alive. If all is good, I wait until I'm at home before opening the bag where I have tons of water and equipment readily available as opposed to scrabbling around the back of my vehicle in a parking lot.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I do the squirt and dump all the time at home but next had ray by plane before

Take tank water and look in the box at the airport as others said just leave them if they are ok

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
The Prime should kill the ammonia right away shouldn't it? Open bags, hit with Prime......

I took water, Prime, 12V air and water pumps, heat packs and totes with when I went to get my Falks that were bounced from Oliver's transhipper to me without even being checked on. Pretty sure IF I let them be till I got home I wouldn't have them today (lost like 75% of the bags involved in shipping 3 rays) There's nothing I do different at home vs in the back of a car as far as acclimation aside from stopping several times on the way home to dump water.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best...... I've almost puked upon opening bags that have been in transit less then 24 hours. I'm getting them out of that crap asap, and if I'm driving 2+ hours home then why not have them acclimated already when you hit the driveway????

These days I have a 2000 watt inverter strapped to the deck lid in the car tapped into the stereo wiring to run a luft pump, heaters for every tote I can cram in the car, and to power the probes used to monitor water parameters......

Reactions: mrrobxc

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
That's a real tough call.
You could ask your supplier if they purge the rays before shipping.
If they know what they're doing, the rays should be OK. Then you could leave them until you get home.
Still would be a good idea to have extra water just in case.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

swedeboy78

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
My crib
You are only talking 14 1/2 hours which is hardly any time. I would leave bags sealed just open boxes to verify the bags have not busted then leave them alone. Pulling them out at the airport and dumping into tubs then driving home to do it all over again is far more stressful to the ray than just leaving them alone. Bring a tub and water for an emergency situation where a bag has busted and is leaking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I agree as long as the rays were purged adequately and aren't swimming around in a bunch of feces/ammonia at the time of pickup. I always bring amquel, a container with tank water and an air pump just in case.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store