UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Hey Guys,

I just got these pics emailed to me... seller says they are wild Hystrix from brazil... doesnt look like a hystrix to me, but i will admit to not being 100 percent familiar with hystrix pups.

Thoughts on what it is ? am i wrong?

Thanks

hystrix.JPG

hystrix.JPG

doyboy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
essex uk
Na that's no hystrix in my opinion, this is a wild pup I had few months back

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1395245064326.jpg

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Not a Brazilian hystrix. Looks like what is often labeled as yepezi. The bottom one is super skinny. Nice looking rays though.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I am in between two rays, hard to tell with pics. You getting them? They have a nice pattern and probably worth the money as long as it is not over $200.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Not a Brazilian hystrix. Looks like what is often labeled as yepezi. The bottom one is super skinny. Nice looking rays though.
Agreed Yepezi.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks Guys

I am in between two rays, hard to tell with pics. You getting them? They have a nice pattern and probably worth the money as long as it is not over $200.

They will be less then 200, and I was toying with getting one. But tank space is becoming an issue.... what are your thoughts?

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
My first thought was P. Dumerilii or at least what the aqualog calls that ray. It has that same pattern and half tiger stripes on tail. Not 100% on what it actually is but I would compare to the above mention in the aqualog. If it was me I would buy, unique and not often scene. I would even go for a pair and find a way to make room for them.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Might not be this type of ray but looks really close especially with what you can see of tail markings. This one guessing by calipers is around 12". A lot of people view brown rays as cheap starter rays but in my opinion there are many unique species that people do not keep or if they do they buy one in hopes of making a hybrid. One of the biggest reason I love jags is because no one hardly ever keeps them much less trying to breed them. I do not breed them for making money but because I love the species and want them to thrive. That is why I said make room for a pair and be the first on mfk to breed them. I can almost bet no one on here has.

uploadfromtaptalk1395254206792.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store