Does anyone use a pressurized sand pool filter?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have been thinking about buying a pressure filter, and they ain't cheap! I was in a pool store recently looking for a fitting, and they had some filter systems on the floor for less than what I see them for that are being sold as aquarium and pond use. They all use sand and I really don't see any difference in design. I was shopping for something online this morning and saw one sold by Intex that included the pump for just $290. It is rated at 2650 GPH. I figure that even if the pump only lasts a couple years it's a good deal.
Here is a link to it. Take a look, and see what you think.
Thanks
Rodger
http://www.vminnovations.com/Produc...nd-Sand-Filter-Pump-Set-28681EG-56681EG-.html

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
It looks nice but would this be an issue for fish?
Saltwater system combines a unique two-stage technology to sanitize your pool

First, an undetectable level of natural swimmer-safe chlorine is produced when environmentally friendly natural salt is added to the pool water and passes through a titanium coated electrolytic cell during the filtration process

Second, with the copper ionization feature, highly active disinfectant ions are released creating a potent biocide to attack algae more aggressively than chlorine or other packaged pool chemicals

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
There are others I found after posting without salt stuff.

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
The link didn't work for me but is it anything like a D.E. filter? There was a guy on here using one with success but it looked like overkill for his tank. I've often wondered if I could use a pool filter for my 210 cuz I'm a pool plasterer and could get such items at wholesale. So the filter in your application would be for mechanical filtration right?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
When I got my 220 I asked the same question as I had two I could get for free the end result was no due to energy costs I went on eBay got a 1200 gph pump for around 15-20 bucks it's an external made of metal says it can pump 1200 gallons per hour at 30 feet just a little wiring and best 20 bucks ever spent it's not noisy at all and very little cost to run

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
http://www.amazon.com/Ground-4500gp...8&qid=1395255214&sr=8-27&keywords=pool+filter Here is a link to Amazon. This one is a little different. Not DE, but pool filter sand. The more research I do the all in one units like this have power hog pumps. This one burns over 8 amps! I have found some Hayward pool sand filters for about $200 that I could buy a pond pump for that burns a lot less electricity. One thing I need to research off of the pond filter sites is the pumps. Since you are pushing water through this lump of sand they must be high head pumps. Anyway, I have found enough information since the original post to make me think it is feasable. I will be filtering two tanks. a 700 & 240. I have an FB filter in a stock tank with 100 liters of K1. My water stays cloudy using 100 micron filter socks, so I figured this would do a nice polish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store