What is you input

JonnyK90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2012
Los Angeles
What is your input on the saying that when fish are small the less color the better because plain fish get more colors. Is this true ? have you had this happen ? Got pics to prove it ? I'm just curious on everyone's input . Thanks for your answers MFKers !

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I've never heard of this before

JonnyK90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2012
Los Angeles
I've heard it a few times when choosing fish people tell me "pick the plain one ,it will get better colors " that's why I took to mfk to see what you guys have to say /or see if you have heard it .

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Hmmm what kind of fish are we talking about? I know some change drastically, but ive always made an effort to buy a bunch and grow em out a bit and keep the most colorful one to keep and always had good results

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Never heard this before either. I think it would depend on the type of fish.

JonnyK90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2012
Los Angeles
It was when I was buying cichlids , I don't know if I believe it or not lol that's why I brought it here to see what you guys think . It's one of those old timer sayings haha I wonder if we will ever know ..

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Well if you trust the members here, seems like either a pet stores way to get rid of their "ugly ducklings" or an old wives tale. People go to great lengths to growout a bunch of fry and keep only the best so id lean towards that. Also look at like koi or betta breeders. They cull 99.9% of fish and only keep the most colorful typically. Since thats their livelihood id bet they know what they are doing

JonnyK90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2012
Los Angeles
Well if you trust the members here, seems like either a pet stores way to get rid of their "ugly ducklings" or an old wives tale. People go to great lengths to growout a bunch of fry and keep only the best so id lean towards that. Also look at like koi or betta breeders. They cull 99.9% of fish and only keep the most colorful typically. Since thats their livelihood id bet they know what they are doing

i agree 100% I'm friends with a lot of guppy breeders and like you said they only pick out the best of the best and the rest are feeders . I agree it has be a wives tale . Haha this is why I come here to help clear up all the nonsense that is out here lol

JonnyK90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2012
Los Angeles

i agree 100% I'm friends with a lot of guppy breeders and like you said they only pick out the best of the best and the rest are feeders . I agree it has be a wives tale . Haha this is why I come here to help clear up all the nonsense that is out here lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store