Swiss Tropical Cube filter

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
I'm going to pick up a couple of Swiss tropical cube filters to replace my API Hydro V's.

Does any know what size I require to do the same if not better bio filtration? I was thinking the 5" 30 ppi model would be close

Plus if anyone has experience with the Swiss tropical cubes, Please give me your feed back on them compared to the API Hydro V.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Never used that product but have bought their foam sheets and love it.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
The foam is much tougher so fish can't pick it apart. I like them much better.

azmtns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Prescott, AZ
I have a fishroom with about 100 tanks (lots of smalls, into killifish) and purchased about 7 of the different sized cube filters at last years ACA in Denver. I am now no longer using any of them. The water quality was just not there compared to the hydro sponges and I have moved back to them. The particulate matter would not be sucked up and I just had issues with them. I like the fact that when the hydro sponge gets dirty, you clean it and it is good as new. The swiss tropical filters never get dirty, yet your tank stays dirty. I have them sitting on a shelf now, dry. Embarassed I even purchased them.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I love them. They made the Hydro sponges look like crap. I bought a bunch from the Indy ACA and have been using them ever since. They pick up plenty of debris. I will not buy another sponge filter. I like both the black and the red ones. I think the red/orange ones are 20ppi.

azmtns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Prescott, AZ
I use the reticulated foam Hydro sponges, the thick mesh for ponds, etc and they are much better then the swiss tropical filters. Maybe the swiss tropical are better then the standard hydro sponges, but not the reticulated. Trust me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store