Help re thickness.

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Hi guys,

Ive done a few concrete ponds but this one would be the first with a viewing window.

I'm building a 9x7x3.5 concrete aquapond. However, the viewing window is either gonna be 6x2 or 5x2. Does the smaller glass in relation to the height and length of the tank affect the thickness of glass i should get? Also, how thick should my glass be? Would i be better off with acrylic?

I've been successful using blocks on bigger ponds before but since i would be putting a window, should i just make a mold and pour concrete?

Lastly, i'm thinking of putting a support beam on top of the glass where it would stick, should i do that?

I have yet to pick a waterproofing membrane although im keen on a rubberized one but i have yet to use it in the past. Would it affect the fish, water quality or longevity of the structure?

The filtration would be a 1 (width) x 9 x 3~ overflow with around 5 partitions for the media and a UV sterilizer. (Would that be enough?) it would be integrated at the back of the pond. The return would be a trickle for a 1x7x1/2 overhead on the side of the tank.

This would be for my wallago, perch and arowana. The big cats will stay with my gar because im renovating another pond as well. Or maybe all catfish + pacu? Ill decide later on lol.

Would really appreciate inputs especially with the thickness of the glass. Thanks.

Here is a pic for your reference.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395281896.513547.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
Please do some research. There are 1000 thickness calculators out there.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I already did.

Hate to break it to you pal but there are less than a 1,000 calculators out there. Lawl, kidding. I have yet to see one factoring in the fact that i wont be using glass for an entire wall, the glass in relation to the dimensions of the wall of the pond (As i have mentioned earlier) will be smaller both in terms of length and height.

There might be a different variable in this scenario that the calculators don't factor in. That's why im asking.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
The glass you need won't need to be as thick as a full glass tank of the same dimensions, but your still going to want t least 18-20mil glass or acrylic, whichever can be attained cheapest. Others may say you can get sway with thinner but that's a lot of water to take a gamble with, and also a pond that size will probably have some sizeable occupants, won't want them smashing the glass would we? Haha.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
I hate to break it to you, but there is no calculator nor will there ever be a calculator that does anything besides calculate safety factor of a fish tank assuming rimless and braceless. I know, I made one of the calculators. You have to use your best judgement when considering your build. Will teh glass be braced with some sort of framing and or cross brace? How deep will it be? How long? then use a calc, make your best guess and go.

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
The glass you need won't need to be as thick as a full glass tank of the same dimensions, but your still going to want t least 18-20mil glass or acrylic, whichever can be attained cheapest. Others may say you can get sway with thinner but that's a lot of water to take a gamble with, and also a pond that size will probably have some sizeable occupants, won't want them smashing the glass would we? Haha.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Good thing you brought up the smashing parts, it really made me think about getting the bare minimum allowed. Thanks man! Even the prescribed thickness dont mean anything if fish rammed through it as opposed to holding water.:(

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
I hate to break it to you, but there is no calculator nor will there ever be a calculator that does anything besides calculate safety factor of a fish tank assuming rimless and braceless. I know, I made one of the calculators. You have to use your best judgement when considering your build. Will teh glass be braced with some sort of framing and or cross brace? How deep will it be? How long? then use a calc, make your best guess and go.
Noted, thanks man!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store