Breeding frontosa

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Sorry finger slip

My reason to buy from different breeders is to not breed brothers and sisters for in the future I may want to sell said babies or should I look into buying all wild caught fish but that comes with a higher price and they can still be brothers and sister

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mobaman1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2013
here and there
If you're going to breed then I'd say wild caught is the way to go. If you just want a nice tank full of fronts go with tank raised or f1's. Fish don't succumb to the same problems associated with inbreeding like mammals do. A couple different sources of fry should be fine.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
If you want to spend a fortune, get wild fish. If you want to spend less, get F1s of known provenance. I'd start with a group of juvies and grow them out in your tank...sell extra males and put together a nice colony.

Especially with harem-breeding maternal mouthbrooders like Frontosa, there is plenty of genetic diversity for many generations from a single source of fish. Having offspring from multiple females from the same source would be great.

The chances of 15 (or even 5) different sources of frontosa having something mislabeled or otherwise erroneous is extremely high. Get fish from someone who's knowledgeable and knows what they're doing and you'll be great.

Matt

If you're going to breed then I'd say wild caught is the way to go. If you just want a nice tank full of fronts go with tank raised or f1's. Fish don't succumb to the same problems associated with inbreeding like mammals do. A couple different sources of fry should be fine.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
How many fish should I start with and how many should I end with?

Say buy 20 in hopes to end with 12-15

And do I get rid of all but two males the rest females? I need to find a frontosa book

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Definitely find a reliable source for your fish. Rumors are going around that even todays WC's are not what they are labeled. A 220 is a large tank but you will find that mature male fronts will make it look full pretty quick. What type are you looking for. We have a pair of Kapampas and they are stunning.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
My 180 that is empty now used to have a nice breeding colony of moba's. Best looking fronts imo.53697894.CyphotilapiafrontosaMobaBlueZaire03m.jpg

Cyphotilapia_frontosa_moba1.jpg

53697894.CyphotilapiafrontosaMobaBlueZaire03m.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store