Penn Plax CASCADE filter

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I've got many different filters for my multitute of aquariums, but I've got to say that the Penn Plax CASCADE 1000 that I own is a total pile of crap! It's noisy. The hook-ups are flimsy. It's not effective and it's made of some super cheesy brittle plastic. Lately, I noticed that the water coming out of it was very warm. Hot, even. (The last straw) I've got a total of seven old Fluval 303s. Each is over 10 years old. No problems. I've got three Marineland Magnums. Also very old and GREAT. I've got four Marineland H.O.T.s ..Love them. I've got two Rena Filstars. They work O.K. I've got three Aquatop 300s. Quiet and well behaved. The Penn Plax stands alone as being a turd. I've dismantled it and it seems some filter carbon has gotten into the motor and scarred things up. I could hear it rattling inside but couldn't get in there to clean it. it's sealed. A good blow with a hammer unsealed it. I'm not gonna miss this filter.

Daonni

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
nh
Well that sucks. I have never owned one, maybe you had a lemon.

Sent from my LG-L38C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
The Cascades are a budget filter and have a ton of by pass. But I never had any problems with two 1500's that I ran for over two years, and the guy I sold them to has been running them for a few years now with no problems. Sounds like you got a bad one.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I had a few 1500's that were probably 7 years old. The gaskets wore out and they started a slow leak. I called penn plax and they mailed me new gaskets and clamps for free. Their customer service is pretty good. Don't hesitate to call or email them even if it is an older filter. In my experience they try to make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
my cascade hob's seem fine.. I must admit to needing to add o-rings occasionally

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
Thanks. I still have the parts if anyone needs an unusual piece. PM me. (Free.)

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I think you did get a bad one, the cascade was my first canister and it still works like a champ after +5 years. Even with a handful of rocks in the motor area it works great lol! I just cant seem to open that compartment for some reason though haha.

I think you did get a bad one, the cascade was my first canister and it still works like a champ after +5 years. Even with a handful of rocks in the motor area it works great lol! I just cant seem to open that compartment for some reason though haha.
I love mine too. NO problems!

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
Yes. It started with rocks or gravel rattling around in the motor area....and it IS sealed. Gravel can get in there, but YOU can't.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store