Uk native: grow out & release?

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I hope this is isn't a stupid question but I am thinking of starting a uk native tank but some of my favourites get far to big for me to keep for life so I was wondering if it is ok to release them when they out grow my tank? It would be a new aquarium so no tropical diseases would be returned with them and I would release them from the exact spot that I took them from.

So is this a safe/responsible thing to do or is it still a no no?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Good thread! I'd *assume* there would be no harm in it, if there is absolutely no risk of contamination from other fish outside of the natural habitat e.g tropicals etc. Even then I dont know if that would be a risk.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Yes, not a good idea at all and illegal.

There are ways around it, tho. I don't know how it works in England, but if you have a local hatchery that raises fish for release, they may allow you to grow out fish and return them to the hatchery before release into the wild. They would test for diseases and other problems. You would also need to receive the fish from the hatchery to grow out, not catch them from the wild. Make some calls, you may get somewhere with it. I know a lot of schools over here in the U.S. raise and release trout into native waters, through state hatcheries.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store