Dolphin Barbs

TexanMFKer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2014
South Korea
Hi does anybody now what the growth rate on these guys are? And also is 20 u.s dollars a good price?
And can they share a 180g with 2 blue mahseer. I heard that they were aggressive towards species that look similar.
Is this true? Always wanted to keep some but could never find them here until now. Please advise
Thank You

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Hi does anybody now what the growth rate on these guys are? And also is 20 u.s dollars a good price?
And can they share a 180g with 2 blue mahseer. I heard that they were aggressive towards species that look similar.
Is this true? Always wanted to keep some but could never find them here until now. Please advise
Thank You
I'm not too sure on exact growth rates but I know they're slow growers. My dolphin barb has probably put on about 1/4"-1/2" in 2 months. I don't know but he eats a lot. He sucks on the pellets and gets fat after a few. They are also good algae eaters, mine cleared up all my brown algae the first night I threw it in my tank. Fugupuff aka rare fish will know the answer to your question though. They are pretty aggressive and really active. Mine chases my hampala barbs around the tank occasionally and he is much smaller. It's nothing serious though. It should be fine with your blue mahseers, depending on the size of the fish you might see some aggression but it's not bad. A 180 has plenty of room. $20 sounds about right although I scored mine for 6.99 at a fish store out of town. My lfs recently brought some in for 9.99 I guess it just depends on your area and availability. If u don't see them at all I would pay $20.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TexanMFKer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2014
South Korea
I'm not too sure on exact growth rates but I know they're slow growers. My dolphin barb has probably put on about 1/4"-1/2" in 2 months. I don't know but he eats a lot. He sucks on the pellets and gets fat after a few. They are also good algae eaters, mine cleared up all my brown algae the first night I threw it in my tank. Fugupuff aka rare fish will know the answer to your question though. They are pretty aggressive and really active. Mine chases my hampala barbs around the tank occasionally and he is much smaller. It's nothing serious though. It should be fine with your blue mahseers, depending on the size of the fish you might see some aggression but it's not bad. A 180 has plenty of room. $20 sounds about right although I scored mine for 6.99 at a fish store out of town. My lfs recently brought some in for 9.99 I guess it just depends on your area and availability. If u don't see them at all I would pay $20.

Thanks for the reply, im glad that they can be housed with my blue mahseers.
And Wow 6.99 is crazy for a fish as rare as this. I

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
I have mine with a golden mahseer. If they are a lot bigger, the dolphin barb will leave them alone. Anything similar to it especially other cyprinids and anything that's not much bigger might get chased around. My golden mahseer is left alone by the barb due to his size. I honestly didn't think I had a true dolphin barb since it was so cheap but turns out it's actually real. At 6.99 might as well lol. There's a lot more where I got it from too :D

TexanMFKer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2014
South Korea
I have mine with a golden mahseer. If they are a lot bigger, the dolphin barb will leave them alone. Anything similar to it especially other cyprinids and anything that's not much bigger might get chased around. My golden mahseer is left alone by the barb due to his size. I honestly didn't think I had a true dolphin barb since it was so cheap but turns out it's actually real. At 6.99 might as well lol. There's a lot more where I got it from too :D

So if the Blue Mahseer was a tad bit smaller, he would get chased around?

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
You must of been to Exotic I got mine @ $5.99 :)

Bangana Beheri are very hyper active fish they chase each other around like crazy. They have a very interesting way about how they eat. Like a stabbing motion they stab at there food.

TexanMFKer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2014
South Korea
You must of been to Exotic I got mine @ $5.99 :)

Bangana Beheri are very hyper active fish they chase each other around like crazy. They have a very interesting way about how they eat. Like a stabbing motion they stab at there food.
Do they ever cause seriouse harm to other fish? I really really want to add them couse my 2 blue mahseers fight like crazy and I heard that if I had a third member that had similar looks it would stop fighting

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Yep exotics. I'm positive 90% of people don't know what they are. They are cool fish, can't wait for them to grow up and start growing their hump. The only thing that concerns me is when the behri chases my Siamese cuz it's such a slow moving fish. I used to keep blue mahseers (stracheyi) and had two originally. They would fight and I added a third which helped. They would still fight but it definitely helped. Hope adding a behri helps. From my experience, if my behri is chasing my hampalas then I'm thinking it will chase your blue mahseers. But you never know till you try.

TexanMFKer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2014
South Korea
Yep exotics. I'm positive 90% of people don't know what they are. They are cool fish, can't wait for them to grow up and start growing their hump. The only thing that concerns me is when the behri chases my Siamese cuz it's such a slow moving fish. I used to keep blue mahseers (stracheyi) and had two originally. They would fight and I added a third which helped. They would still fight but it definitely helped. Hope adding a behri helps. From my experience, if my behri is chasing my hampalas then I'm thinking it will chase your blue mahseers. But you never know till you try.

Got some from my lfs, was kinda expensive bit worth it. I cant wait to see them in full hump mode:D I just hope he doesnt mess with my other fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store