Amazon Tank Stocking Help

ScorpioJay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2014
Essex, England
Hi all, I hope this is in the right place. I'm pretty new to keeping fish but I keep alot of reptiles and invertebrates. Over the last few months Ive been setting up a general Amazon tank, learned loads from here already so thanks all.

So I got my tank set up and fishless cycled my new fx6, what a painful wait that was! Anyway so far I have stocked a small baby Tiger Oscar about 4", a Gold Spot Sailfin Pleco (L001) about 6" and 3 Talking Catfish (Platydoras armatulus) of varying sizes 4", 6", 8".

The tank is 4x2x2, set-up with lots of caves and roots at the bottom for the cats, still with plenty of open water above for the Oscar. I'm just wondering if there is room for some smaller shoaling fish as the tank still seems a little empty, or have I over done it already once everything gets full size.

I did have some Black Phantom tetras as i thought they might survive but the talking cats have been picking them off, there's only 2 left.

So do you think I am already fully stocked, over done it already, or still have space left for something like silver dollars? I feel there is still room as the cats and pleco have filled the bottom but in the whole rest of the tank it's just the baby Oscar.

Also, if there is still potential room left, im open for suggestions as im struggling to find an Amazon fish that shoals, that gets big enough not to be eaten by the Oscar but small enough not to take up much room. Silver dollars seemed perfect to me until I read they would destroy my plants.

Thanks for any help! Pics to come when I get a chance to get on the PC.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Are you using inches or cm? 8 inch for Platydoras armatulus is huge!

Oscars grow fast, and it will fill that 120gal in the not so distant future. For now, you can add more fish, but small ones will most likely become protein.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Looks, like some nice stock Theres already there :) I'd say the Silver Dollars would fill to much up. The Oscar might (If it has good genes) outgrow that tank already. 8 Inches for a Striped Raphael should be big :) I'd love to see some Pictures. I'm no Expert, so when i say that the Silver Dollars would fill up to much, dont hang me up on it. :)

ScorpioJay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2014
Essex, England
Its cool I'm open to all suggestions, quite happy with it as it is just feel like I have alot of free open water, at a glance it looks empty and needs some movement but I know the Oscar will change that, he's growing rapidly.

I'll try and sort some pics out later tonight, although a pic of the big armatulus behind a tape measure might be hard but I'll give it a go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store