Tempered glass monster tank?

Gaz

Feeder Fish
Mar 20, 2014
United Kingdom
I'm sure 'tempered glass for an aquarium' is an age old question that has been asked many times, but has anyone actually made a large (1000L+) aquarium using tempered glass? I know that it would basically explode if it did break (seen it happen), as opposed to normal float/plate glass that would crack; but surely on an aquarium that size a crack would be enough to make the glass blow out from that much pressure anyway, regardless of what type of glass? I only ask because I've recently got my hands on a couple sheets of 15mm thick tempered glass at over a metre square each so am trying to justify using them in a tank build... Would the massive strength of the glass be enough to outweigh the risk of it breaking?

sross

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Ohio
I think you probably could use the tempered glass. Just don't over stress it. Where you will run into trouble with tempered is if the edge gets damaged some how. When I was deciding what type of glass to use for my tank the guys at the glass shop said that they would trust tempered to hold up to almost anything. They told me that they installed tempered glass at steal plants as a safety guard to protect workers from hunks of steal projectiles and it could hold up to that. That was a sheet of 3/4 inch. I end up going with regular glass because of cost.

rajatariqmustafa15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Pakistan
Well yeah I think it's alright but also depends on what type of fish u want to keep. Big fish could break the aquarium I suggest you use 18m

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
This is what happens.... lol..

[video=youtube;1tsy4csCiDI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tsy4csCiDI&list=UUeLoU3nX2sqku6B6_3PSIPw&feature=share&index=10[/video]

I was on top of the tank and saw it all take place, then I held the glass in place ( very silly ) but yes it will not crack the silicone will give way.

this occurred because the bracing was not sufficient and hardly attached in this corner... but now that I have added more bracing the tanks been running for a fair amount of time with 0 issues.

The only way I know of to crack tempered glass is smacking it on the edge as this is the weak spot, the face is almost impossible to crack but with enough force it could occur but we are talking massive force..

Gaz

Feeder Fish
Mar 20, 2014
United Kingdom
That's good to know, thankyou for your replies. I'm a welder so I was planning on having a steel frame for the aquarium for strength then build a plywood aquarium from that. Only two sides would be glass as I only have two panels and at £270 each trade price I certainly won't be buying any more! About 150mm of each edge would be within the frame to protect the edges and increase strength. I'm a little worried about the depth of the tank though, the water column would be around 900mm deep, how much pressure can tempered glass hold as I know that's a lot of pressure and I've never worked with tempered glass before?

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Well that tank is 15mm also, with a 30cm center brace it was fine. if using metal you should be pretty safe not sure whats required but I imagine something like 100 x 100 x 5mm angled steel would be the best then the glass can slot in and weld the top part also.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I always wondered why tempered glass tanks weren't more popular. Around my house businesses get rebuild constantly and I always thought that those massive picture windows of tempered glass would make a sweet building material for a tank. And they would be free if you could just get in there and remove them before they destroy the building.

Heck, in one 2 mile stretch, all the fast food joints seem to be rebuilt every 5-10 years like clock work.. seems wasteful. All of those nice windows just get knocked down with the rest of the building. If someone had an inside source with a demolition crew they could score some serious glass.

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
I always thought most tanks were not tempered so they could be drilled. a lot of small tanks have tempered glass on the bottom. if the size glass you have is the size you need for your build, then I say go for it!! just don't drill or try to cut it.

Gaz

Feeder Fish
Mar 20, 2014
United Kingdom
Well, I wouldn't have personally chosen something so deep, but it's free so I may as well build the tank to suit the glass!

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
My 360G (1363 L) is made of tempered glass, .75" (19mm) bottom panel and .5"(12.7 mm) on front/back/side panels. It is also drilled on the back panel, I would get acrylic if I could do it all over again.

8'L x 3'W x 2'H

Sent from my SGH-T999L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store