Silver dollar tail question

Black Tuna

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2014
California
youtube.com
So a day after I got my 3 SDs one off then lost their tail completely. For 3 months it didn't show any progress of growing back, was just a nub. Was told it wouldn't ever grow back since it was down to the base. Recently had an ich out break so did the high temperature and salt treatment, cured the ich but now his tail is growing back. Any idea on what was causing the tail issue based on what cured it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
That is really odd. Any idea what took his tail off?

Black Tuna

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2014
California
youtube.com
There wasn't any aggression that I could see, the other 2 sd were fine. I assumed it was fin rot, treated with melafix right after then just accepted the loss. Now it's growing back. Soo odd

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sross

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Ohio
In the past I've had the same thing happen to few of my Silver Dollars. In my case the cause was fungus. It looked like they had sprouted cotton on their sides. I had 3 that lost their tails completely and few others that had minor scale damage. They all grew their tails back after a few months.

Black Tuna

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2014
California
youtube.com
In the past I've had the same thing happen to few of my Silver Dollars. In my case the cause was fungus. It looked like they had sprouted cotton on their sides. I had 3 that lost their tails completely and few others that had minor scale damage. They all grew their tails back after a few months.
This is exactly what it looked like. So I'm wondering if the heat & salt had anything to do with the recovery or if it was just time. I'll try to get a picture of it now, which is about a 1/4 inch of a tail grown back.

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
I have an Thor. Ellioti female whose tail has been really abused. I put her in another tank to separate her from the aggressors. Well the tank I put her in also suffered an ich outbreak a few weeks later. I raised the temp to 86deg, added lots of salt.. made no difference. Only a small part of her tail has grown back, the majority looks like it will be for life.

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I haven't had any of my SD's completely lose a tail...but I have noticed that they are prone to what I would guess if a fungus that occasionally I see on their fins, and shortly after I notice it, their fins tend to look ragged.

sross

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Ohio
This is exactly what it looked like. So I'm wondering if the heat & salt had anything to do with the recovery or if it was just time. I'll try to get a picture of it now, which is about a 1/4 inch of a tail grown back.
Heat, salt and hopefully clean water gave them the chance to heal without old fungus around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store