Why do you enjoy breeding?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I've never got into breed any fish because I feel like that petstores have enough stock.

But everyone seems to be breeding something but me. Is there something I am missing out on?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
I think it's the satisfaction from providing good enough environments for the fish that they feel comfortable enough to reproduce.

Not to mention the interesting behaviors most fish exhibit when breeding.

Sent from my C6906 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
I might not fit into the category, as I do not breed fish to the sell the fry but I will answer anyway.

I keep african cichlids and do my best to keep correct male to female ratios to reduce aggression, but also to increase the chance of fry. I do sell or give away some fry as a tank could easily become overstocked otherwise, but I don't do it to get rich or really even offset the cost of this hobby. I do this simply because I enjoy watching the process of the female holding the fry in her mouth, spitting them out, and then the fry hiding as they grow to adulthood. Obviously many of the fry get eaten, which is somewhat of a free snack, but that is not a reason for my "breeding."

Source310

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Phoenix az
I like breeding the more challenging fish like giberrosa. Feels great after you have raised them for a number of years and then they finally breed.
The fry also go for a pretty penny haha

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
The color changes of some when breeding is amazing. My wife and I like to be able to sell a better selection than the average LFS.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
The satisfaction and of course the true motivator....$

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
The joy of being able to provide the optimal conditions for fish to breed and to be able to raise the fry and watch interesting behaviors fish only display during breeding and also the little profit that is being made

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I think it's the satisfaction from providing good enough environments for the fish that they feel comfortable enough to reproduce.

Sent from my C6906 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1. I'm too busy with work and family to be rearing more fish, so my frys becomes proteins for other fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store