Ammonia issue help

Carpsalmon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Oregon
I have had a 300 gallon tank setup for a few months now, it was initially cycles with a few 17 inch datnoids in it, I then removed one of the datnoids and put two henlies in the tank with one datnoid and a flagtail, I had about half a bucket of cocoa pebbles (ehiem) and a half a bucket of biomax(fluval) after one day and light feeding ammonia jumped 1.5 ish nitates 40 nitrite 0 I then went to the local pond store bought a roll of the filter media they use in barrel filters (thick spongelike material) cut that up and put it in the sump. I have been doing 2 25-30 percent water changes for the last two weeks and my readings are .5 Am 0 nitrite and 35-40 nitrate. Temp is a steady 79. Running about 2700 thru the sump. 4 filter socks. What are your suggestions for getting the ammonia down without harming my rays? Should I move one to a different tank? More water changes? Less? I'm honestly tired of 2 sometimes 3 water changes a day. Not a first time ray keeper so keep the ( rays produce.... To a minimum please I know) Just looking for some straight up advise. I've read 85 percent of what's posted in the forums of the fish I keep steadily for the past 2-3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Do you have and if not are you opposed to a drip system? I'd just run it wide open till the Ammo is in check. Probably not the answer you're after (time frame) but that's how I'd field the situation if it came up.....

mattfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Michigan
get a bunch of "Polyfilters" they remove ammonia. try buying some "Cycle" and dump that in the tank after everywater change. I would also get some "Lugols" its iodine and will help fight any infections from posible amonia burns. Those used pond filter pads will jump start but 300 gallons is alot to stabilize. but adding those items will make it so you can stop doing soooo many water changes and give the tank time to chill out. I would follow Trevs advice and look into a bio-reactor.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Sounds to me like you do not have enough bio media so what is happening is your tank is in a constant cycling. You will have to either lighten the bio load by taking fish out or increasing the bio media. Either way the cycle will have to run it's coarse once the changes are made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Carpsalmon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Oregon
Do you have and if not are you opposed to a drip system? I'd just run it wide open till the Ammo is in check. Probably not the answer you're after (time frame) but that's how I'd field the situation if it came up.....
No drip yet but I have plans to install ASAP. Tank is in basement so I gotta figure a way out to get water outside.

Carpsalmon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Oregon
Sounds to me like you do not have enough bio media so what is happening is your tank is in a constant cycling. You will have to either lighten the bio load by taking fish out or increasing the bio media. Either way the cycle will have to run it's coarse once the changes are made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
If this isn't enough media then I don't know what is. Sump is 60 by 24 by 20 but I could be wrong

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395381526.764384.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395382504.272674.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395382529.291957.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store