Advantage of dirt in a tank

Bichisaur

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
Maryland
Im thinking of setting up a planted tank and I saw some tanks have dirts that is capped with sand.

I would like to ask what's the advantage of this set up?

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Most people go with either mineralized topsoil, or miracle-gro organic potting mix. The mineralized topsoil you have to prepare the dirt such as wash it then let it dry, then wash it and let it dry, this is done 3-5 times to enrich the soil with nutrients, and is better in the long run. With the Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix all you really need to do is sift out any wood chips, and then it's ready to go.

Either way you decide to go, both work pretty well, I've done dirted tanks in the past with success but now I prefer to go with my substrate recipe which has work very well for me but runs around $50-$75 to create. It's a mixture of SeaChem Flourite plant substrate, FloraMax plant substrate, and some ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia...

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Nutrients galore. I don't have to dose my dirted tanks almost at all. I might dose a little here and there, but its not like my non-dirted tanks where I have to figure out the best way to get the plants all the nutrients they need.

Disadvantage though, moving plants around sucks, as if it gets big roots, you're going to end up ripping up the entire substrate and making a muddy mess if its a dirted tank.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Just a quick thought... Are you planning to add fish? With dirted tanks, cichlids, especially diggers/sifters can make quite a mess. Looking forward to seeing your setup, please post pics :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
RCS = red cherry shrimp? Sounds interesting :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Yes :)

I read somewhere that I cant mix RCS with other kinds of shrimp, is that true?
You CAN but you shouldn't, as they will interbreed and make babies that look bleh.

I'm saying if you don't have shrimp already, get a nicer variety of neocardinia, as all of those cherry shrimp varieties are equally as easy to care for and as hardy as the next

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store