Fx5 over filtrated?

dragonfish70

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
San Diego
Well I added 2 more fx5s to my 180g making a total of 3 fx5s running my tank. All are bio and mechanical. The 180g 6x2x2 currently houses 22 Petrochromis sp. Flametail but when I move them out I will be placing 30 red bulu petro frys and down the road 20+ trophs. That's why I just decided to added two more fx5s. I know for these fish it is best to overcrowd them to lessen aggression. Is this too much filtration or am I on the right track?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
There really is no such thing as over-filtration in my view. The more the merrier. More than you need, I would say, but not in the sense that you are damaging the fish. Too much flow, sure, can be a problem but otherwise you are just adding volume and that is good. I would not expect that is an issue with your set-up by a long shot.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I thought that you can't over filter Biologically? you can only support the capacity of the tank.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Probably burning more electricity than you need too, but no such thing as over filtering.
I swear I read that you can only biologically filter up to the tanks capacity. over filtering would have to be mechanical no?

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
Yeah no such thing as over filtration but it wouldve been way easier and better to just have gotten a big sump with tons of bio media and use less electricity and less to clean its sucks cleaning them fx5s

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I agree with boogeyman. A sump would have been a much easier and cost effective route. To answer the question, no I don't think you are overfiltering, as long as the fish aren't caught in a whirlpool when they're in the tank.:popcorn:

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I swear I read that you can only biologically filter up to the tanks capacity. over filtering would have to be mechanical no?
You can not overfilter biologically or mechanically. Too much flow/current from the returns would be the only negative for the fish.

dragonfish70

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
San Diego
Thanks for the response guys! I have had no experience with sumps that's why I didn't go that route. And now that I look at my filtration I don't really need a 3rd fx5. I have the fx5s spread in my tank. One on the left middle and right. I have the outputs for each of those fx5s pointed whichever side they are in the tank. The middle fx5 has its nozzle facing up towards the surface. Will the currents create a whirlpool effect?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store