Going to Petco tomorrow

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
I'm going to visit my girlfriend for the weekend, and I'll be stopping at Petco while I'm there. It's about three and a half hours from my house. I'm picking my 80 gallon up next weekend. It already comes with filter, heater, lights, stand, etc. I want to pick up some sand, since I know Elephant Nose fish need a soft substrate. Is there a specific sand anyone would recommend? I'd really like something white or pinkish in color if at all possible. Are there any testing kits, chlorine removers, chemicals, etc you would recommend I pick up? I want to make sure I have absolutely everything I need before I set up my tank, cycle it, and add my elephant nose.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
Any sand that PetCo carries should be fine. You might have a difficult time finding it in pink, but white is readily available.
As far as test kits, get the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. I have one and it has tests for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Best dechlorinator/conditioner imho is Seachem Safe, but if you have a smaller tank ie your 80 gallon I would get Seachem Prime.

If you are going to be reusing your old filters or transferring biomedia from your old filter to your new there is no need to worry about cycling your new tank. If not I'd recommend Seachem Stability to get your new tank started.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
best bet is pool filter sand from a home improvement store. Dirt cheap rather than spending 15 bucks for a tiny bag you could get 50 pounds for 12 bucks!

mobaman1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2013
here and there
hahaha You wrote pretty much exactly what I was going to write. Im too slow I guess. lol
Pool filter sand is a lot cheaper and also looks more natural.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
PFS, while defniitely cheaper, is not very soft and is very grainy. I use to have it and ended up getting rid of it all because it was too abrasive on some of my bottom dwellers. If that is not a major concern, then go with the PFS because as stated above it has a more natural look to it.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Not all PFS is the same though, just like most things you need to check out what you're buying beforehand. Mine is actually finer and softer than most bagged sand from box stores.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Not all PFS is the same though, just like most things you need to check out what you're buying beforehand. Mine is actually finer and softer than most bagged sand from box stores.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1 and you can get white pool filter sand lol

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
If you want a more natural look "all purpose sand" at any hardware store is usually around $5 for 50 lbs.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
white substrate is... difficult. It is very bright especially if you have strong lights. Worst mistake I made when setting up my little brother's twenty gallon. I agree with Heretik about the more natural look

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store