300g build

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
Picked up a used 300g glass tank last Sunday of Craig's list. It was used for saltwater reef so as you can imagine some clean up was necessary. I got the stand too but apart from a few usable pieces of lumber it was complete junk. Do instead of moving the tank in to its final location it's taking up my parking space in the garage. (First pic) at least it made the cleanup easier as I was able to host it out sitting on its side. Once the majority of the sand and salt was out it was returned to right side up and filled to leak test. Fortunately there were no leaks after 30+ hours filled. I also added (3) 1.25 gallon jugs off vinegar to help get riff of any coraline algae that might have still been in th he tank. Next step was of to home depot to buy lumber for a new stand. Pic 2 is its humble beginnings. Lots of 2 x 4's went into this build. It's based off of the common design used here. Almost finished in 3rd pic but I ran out of screws. I decided to get some flat black paint while I getting the necessary hardware to finish th he stand.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1395450011632.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395450762237.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395450972416.jpg

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
Not quite finished painting but I needed to take a break from working on the stand. Somehow today of all days I managed to pull/pinch something in my back when the heaviest thing I lifted today was my cordless drill or maybe the plywood for the top of the stand which is in two pieces do it's not that bad. Paint will be finished in the next day or two and by next weekend the 900 pound monstrosity will be inside and ready to fill. I still have to figure out the plumbing, replace the bulkheads and design a sump. I decided to give the jabaeo dc 9000 a try for the pump and its sitting in its box inside my 180g stand until needed.

As of right now it's only future inhabitants are 2 juvenile peacock bass, and a common plecco. I may leave the smaller pb in the 180 to see if it will eat and grow better without its sibling bullying it all the time. Another possibility is moving either the male or female jag into the 300g to slow down the downing so they grow out more instead of constantly thinking about spawning.

Don't tell my wife but the end goal for the tank is a pair of Magnum X umbees from Umbee king.

uploadfromtaptalk1395451574625.jpg

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
Thanks, it's fully painted now and will finally get the tank set on it tomorrow night. Getting enough people together to move a 900+ pound glass tank can be a pain. Stand has been ready for over 3 weeks and its seemed like forever.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
Tank finally inside where it will stay filled and cycled. Second pic is night shot with my inexpensive home made led light bars. My two peacock bass seem to like their new home, not sure what kind they are. Long-term plan is to add a pair of Rio mag Umbee once the ones I got from animal guy grow large enough to safely add with the PB. At their current size they'd end up a snack.

uploadfromtaptalk1397540262968.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1397540281701.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1397540519136.jpg

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Looks sweet. I have no motivation to paint/stain mine since I finished it like 2 1/2 months ago lol....

Your pbass look like ocellaris fyi.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store