Venustus lover not fighter

I C Mud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2014
Winnipeg
I am just wondering if anyone has two male venustus that seem to adore each other. My dominant male and for positive sub-dominant male enjoy swimming and being together. There are also 3 females that neither one pays too much attention to, although they have bred in the recent past. I moved them from their 180g to a 55g temporarily because of a large loach move in the too near future. I was under the impression that the dominant male would be somewhat aggressive to the sub-dominant. They are around the 6" mark. Anybody else experience this? The females will also bring food to the dominant male and spit it at him for him to eat? Strange????

grail63

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Arizona
Nope never seen this activity. All the venustus I have owned once one male shows its dominance I usually have to remove the other males. Venustus are one of the more aggressive species I have owned

I C Mud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2014
Winnipeg
That has been my experience as well. This time I had 12 -.5" to start, can you believe 9 were males. It started to get rough when they hit the 5 inch mark, so I traded 7 males believing I would have to get rid of one more. I kept the least dominant, but brightly colored male and the only subdominant male of the group. Glad I did.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store