Tank with No Substrate Advice?

perok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2012
pompano beach FL
I think I am going to try a tank with no substrate. Probably a 120 gallon. I will still grow plants like Anubias, Ferns, Mosses etc.... My biggest concern is stability of the bio.

Is anybody doing this? I usually like to have a Penguin 400 biowheel and a Canister trying to get about 400 gph between the two. I recognize the filters will have to pick up the slack for the lack of bacteria in the substrate, but is there anything else I need to consider? I have this worry that the water parameters will be more fragile.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I run all my tanks with no substrate expect my jag because she likes to landscape lol just make sure you have double the recommended filtration and you'll be fine. For an example a aquaclear 110 is rated for a 100 gallon tank so I would run that on a 50 gal bare tank.

oh ps: make sure you use some high quality media as fuval bio max or any ehiem bio media. This will ensure a healthy tank that wont have cycle crashes.

Chizzle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
LV Golden Knights!
You should be fine. I run all my tanks without any substrate, but I also have huge sumps and over 10x turnover rate. As well as FX5s attached to Turbotwist UVs.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
I think I am going to try a tank with no substrate. Probably a 120 gallon. I will still grow plants like Anubias, Ferns, Mosses etc.... My biggest concern is stability of the bio.

Is anybody doing this? I usually like to have a Penguin 400 biowheel and a Canister trying to get about 400 gph between the two. I recognize the filters will have to pick up the slack for the lack of bacteria in the substrate, but is there anything else I need to consider? I have this worry that the water parameters will be more fragile.
Bare tanks is what they are called..........MOst monster tanks I have owner were bare tank ........Bare tanks hold no niches for food and debris to fall into.........Leading to a cleaner tank...........I would stick a potting plant onto its side as a cave for the whatever to still hide in..........An island of rocks will not look that good, so spread a few out and their look will be superb(while still not trapping any debris)...........A large driftwood peice as a center peice will be awsome................

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If you still want some extra assurances, in regards to bio media, you can always include a large sponge filter along with the canister.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I was skeptical at first when I attempted my first bare bottom tank years back. I was old school used to under gravel filters. Now 7 of my 8 tanks are bare bottom. I have too many large tanks and too many fishes. Makes it much easier to keep up with maintenance. I just use pothos plants with roots growing down for nitrate removal and it provides cover for the fish. Only tank I use substrate in is my breeding flowerhorn tank, the rock moving and nest building seems to distract them from killing each other.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
Welcome, fellow south Floridian. I think that once you go bare tank, you'll be a big fan of the practice! Wait until you see all of the fish poo that would otherwise be lurking in the rocks and gravel. If you set up the returns with a calm water area inside the tank, the waste will almost ALL settle in that spot and you can remove it, daily, with a fine net.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store