Setting up a sump that has no compartments

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
You could drain into a filter sock and have bio in bottom with return pump. A lot do it this way with great success.

Sent from my XT1031 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
You could drain into a filter sock and have bio in bottom with return pump. A lot do it this way with great success.

Sent from my XT1031 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
ahh so I could get a lot of biological filtration out of that. what if I put carbon in pouches and floated it in there as well.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Start with the basics. What size is the main tank? What is the stock list? What are you wanting out of the sump? What drain/pump setup are you going with?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
And you can create compartments with acrylic or glass and cement or silicone. There are many options to use as is or to shape as you want. I agree with Electric that the needs should be clear first.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I don't put compartments in my sumps, I just hang filter socks below pipes from the tanks, and maybe toss in some bio media bags. Been doing it that way for decades.

crazyk213

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2013
Schwenksville, PA
You could also mount a light and make a Styrofoam float for pothos. Mine has 2 "chambers" first is filter sock in flow, and is loaded with hornwort, second has a floating platform of pothos. Used a clamp light with a 10 watt energy saver bulb. Return pump is below the pothos float. Should have done both as pothos though.

Sent from my ADR930L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1395533954318.jpg

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Start with the basics. What size is the main tank? What is the stock list? What are you wanting out of the sump? What drain/pump setup are you going with?
Yeah sorry about that. Tank size is - 184cm x 64cm x 62cm -H

Stock is undecided but will be large and messy fish so filtration will need to be packing. The volume of tank is 730litres and sump size is - 72cm x 53 x 54

Total volume is 934 litres. The return pump changes 1000 litres every 14mins. the drains are surface skimmers on the right side of the tank, on the side panel.
the drains etc are all ready and built to pump size etc. The only thing I need tbh is help in the layout of the sump

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store