Plywood/Glass build question

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
I've seen some awesome builds here. you guys really know your stuff. recently I was on Utube and I saw a guy build a square tank with glass sides and plywood bottom. that got me thinking. then I checked into the cost of glass.

what I want to know is, has anybody build a rectangular tank with one side and one end made of glass and the other side, bottom and end made of plywood? the tank will go in a corner so I really don't need glass on all four sides, only 2.
my plan is to make the tank 6' x 4' x 30" tall.
when I moved, I had to leave my 500 behind and all my livestock in squished into a 210.
if this is possible, what do you think about the glass thickness? 3/4" or 5/8", I know that is over building cause most sites say 12mm for a 30" tank.

what I'm not sure of is how to join the glass side edge to the plywood end edge. any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
thanks,
rob

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I don't recommend 12MM for 30". 14MM is minimum, but that is at a 2.5 safety factor. Personally, if it's a lot of water and in my house, I want a higher safety factor like 3.0-3.5. 5/8" (16MM) will get you a 3.2 safety factor. That's assuming a 30" tall glass window. If you don't go 30 inches tall, you'll be able to get by on thinner glass depending on how deep the glass really goes.

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
great, we both agree that 12mm isn't thick enough.

I priced out 3/4" cause that's what my 500 used. it was 36" tall but 8' long. I figured that at 30", 3/4" would be more that enough. it is expensive so I'm wondering if I can use plywood for one of the sides and one of the ends?

has anyone seen or read about doing that?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
There was someone who did a tank with 2 adjacent glass sides as you described...sorry I can't recall who. I saw the thread maybe 6-8 months ago.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
There have been builds with glass on both front and sides. One in particular that had the glass panels joining in the corner like an all glass tank with the timber frame top and bottom from cvermeulen. Personally, I would just do the side window just like you would do the front one. It would have a higher safety factor, a better seal and it would also be an easier process. Keeping Plywood on all sides except the front would be even better option for insulation and reducing heating costs though. It would also be cheaper than using glass. My build in my sig is 3.4' high and uses 19mm glass. If I wanted side viewing, I would just use the same process as with the front. ;)

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Remember that the safety factor rating given to glass is for an all glass rimless aquarium without braces. For example a standard 55 gallon aquarium has a safety factor of 1.5 from the factory. That is why they all come with a center brace. You can tinker with safety factors in my calculator to find what you personally are comfortable with. My personal aquarium, the one built in my test tank thread uses 1/4 inch glass and is considered to have a 1.1 safety factor. It has 1 cross brace as well as the plywood frame. It is now 5 years old and has house a few tank busters. I am not advocating lower safety factors, just pointing out that it is a guideline for rimless braceless aquariums.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
To add to Rivermuds comment. Remember that the calculations needed to work out your safety factor/glass thickness is from the the bottom of the unsupported glass to the top water level. Anything under the unsupported glass is irrelevant assuming that the plywood or that part of the tank is solid and has no deflection.

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
based on these last two comments, you guy feel that I could get away with much thinner glass if I use cross braces and plywood panels cut out for the glass.

my problem is I want the corner where to two glass panels come together to be just glass. I don't mind a little wood covering the corners where the wood and glass sides come together but I was hoping to not use plywood panels on the sides with glass.

GrossGraphix

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
Ohio
built mine with two sides glass rest plywood. Not had any problems with it. 8'x4'x30" tall but glass itself is probably 28"-29" after set in tank there is about a 27" viewing window if i remember correctly. Didnt go down and measure it. I used 1/2 safety glass. Really strong stuff not saying it right or wrong everyone has there own opinion. [video=youtube;KKfLPLpCAd4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKfLPLpCAd4&list=UUy1UGXGToBj0AJs2CemqeVg[/video]

Still need to get better lighting on it. Only two shop lights above it as of yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store