Frozen Food Left Out, Thawed, OK to re freeze and feed?

Clam Manson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2014
Arlington, MA
www.facebook.com
Got some fish and on the way out picked up a pack of frozen brine shrimp. Acclimated the fish added them ate lunch. Few hours later saw the pack of food still on the table totally thawed. I've had it back in the freezer plan on throwing it away unless someone its chill to feed. Was out of freezer for at least 3 hours. Let me know if its cool or not. Thanks.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
+1 I wouldn't risk it either its not worth it for the cost of some frozen food

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have done it and used it anyway. It was still cold when I found it. I imagine we all buy some that has thawed and been refrozen where we didn't even know it. If you buy food and the slab isn't absolutely completely flat and even it has been thawed before.

Clam Manson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2014
Arlington, MA
www.facebook.com
^I have always thought the same thing. I'm not gonna risk it anyway, trying to save the 4 bucks ain't worth the life of my fish. I got a bunch of stuff I didn;t need, the frozen shrimp was the one thing I was out of that I feed my Tire Track Eel daily. Figures. What ever, can always use an excuse to hit the LFS lol.

Thanks for the replies.

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
animals are not stupid. I have done this a few times, if the food is spoiled the fish wont eat it. Rotten meat in the wild is typically only eaten by the animals with stomachs strong enough to consume it. Animals that cant handle it, wont eat it unless they are desperate. A well fed aquarium specimen will reject rotten, unsuitable food.

as a younger keeper, i didnt understand this and lost a fish due to a "hunger strike" when it refused to eat rotten frozen krll. This fish was also an eel. IME, eels can be finicky eaters and they wont settle for spoiled flesh unless absolutely necessary. Even still, some would choose death other rotten foods

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I have tried feeding rethawed food several times. The bichirs and dat seem fine with it. If tilapia or shrimp food is stinky or looks rotten I don't bother feeding.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Toss it.

Freezing, thawing and refreezing destroys the nutritional value of the food. They might eat it, but it's not doing anything good for them. In the professional animal care industry, there are rules against that practice to protect the health of the animals under human care.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Toss it.

Freezing, thawing and refreezing destroys the nutritional value of the food. They might eat it, but it's not doing anything good for them. In the professional animal care industry, there are rules against that practice to protect the health of the animals under human care.
thats the zoo. Workers are paid by the hours to care for animal. It's a food safety standard so disease do not spread. I thinks it's over kill for house aquariums

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store