DIY aquaponics ?

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
Do any of you currently have baskets on top of your tank with your fish ? I am running a 55 gallon with a few grow outs and was researching up on aquaponics and thought about having a herb garden on top of the tank as an experiment what do you all think ?

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
I had a Tupperware container on one side of my 120 for a while. Grew some stuff in it. Big issues are lighting, dependent on what you're growing and whether you plan on growing edibles.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I have a pretty good light and was also thinking about trying a Tupperware container. For some reason my pump is too powerful and sprays water all over. Would a bigger out take work better ? 3 inch ? I have a 396 g/h pump In a 55 gallon tank.

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
I drilled holes in mine so water flowed in and out normally. What are you planning to grow?

Hope_WA

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2014
Washington State
I have three peace lilies growing in the top of my 29g. I just have the front of the lid opened and the plants are suspended in Slurpee lids.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
well I wanted to start with something different like basil and lavender to make my room smell nice. I already have potho's and ivy in my large tank and would like to switch it up . The plan is to drill a intake hole and a outtake hole and use pvc piping . Run the pump through the two containers . So its continually cycling . The whole goal is to save power. The light in all reality should heat the water somewhat so that would eliminate the heater and keep the water clean . so that would eventually eliminate the filter .

Scorpio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2008
Queens, NY
well I wanted to start with something different like basil and lavender to make my room smell nice. I already have potho's and ivy in my large tank and would like to switch it up . The plan is to drill a intake hole and a outtake hole and use pvc piping . Run the pump through the two containers . So its continually cycling . The whole goal is to save power. The light in all reality should heat the water somewhat so that would eliminate the heater and keep the water clean . so that would eventually eliminate the filter .
Do you have pictures? I would like to do something similar. I'm triyng to do the baskets with acrylic/plexiglas in a way that they fit right on top of a 55 gallon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store