columnaris treatment?

brz

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2012
PA
I have a flowerhorn that i believe has columnaris. She got a little beat up one day so i removed the culprit from the tank hoping that she would get better once the stressor was gone. She ended up getting worse and was very reclusive and not feeding. Added some salt and copper sulfate to tank b/c i read that both can help and i had both on hand. Seems to be doing better and eating again however her tail and dorsal condition still concern me. Want to hopefully have her recover fully. ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, ph 6.8, temp 81.

I have read so much conflicting info online. So my question is if anyone else has experience treating it what worked best?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Is there a way for you to post a clear picture? Also for a medacation recomendation I will need your water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and hardness if available. What temperature do you have the tank set at and are there any other fish in thank? If so what?

brz

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2012
PA
Sorry forgot hardness above: total hardness 60. ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, ph 6.8, temp 81. There was a Aulonocara jacobfreibergi, blueberry zebra, and a salvini all of which I removed. Believe the peacock and salvini were picking on the flowerhorn. Right now there are a few giant danios and 2 silver dollars as dithers, a yellow lab that my son is very attached to, another smaller female flowerhorn, 6" synodontis, and a pleco.

IMGP0152.JPG

IMGP0153.JPG

IMGP0154.JPG

IMGP0152.JPG

IMGP0153.JPG

IMGP0154.JPG

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I'm not really seeing much here what makes you think this is columnaris? I see it's going thorugh some normal color morphs that's the black you see on the tail and dorsal. Otherwise it looks ok to me. Try stepping up the water changes and keep an eye on it. Otherwise I think it'll be fine.

brz

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2012
PA
Thanks. The thing that got me a little worried was the dorsal and tail looked shredded a little and looked like white fungus on them. Already starting to look better in pic. I know that severe stress can lead to compromised immune system. Was also reading about columnaris presenting as fungal looking and can come out in times of stress. Was just trying to prevent it getting to point of no return. Guess I just got a little nervous. Will keep an eye on her.

Thanks again for your help. She does seem to be doing better and eating better.

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
Fish just looks beat up to me. All those wounds should heal up fine with good water quality. Salt wouldn't hurt though. 1 table spoon per 5 gallons of water if you choose to add it to water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brz

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2012
PA
Thanks. Already did the salt and going to do some extra wc this week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store