Eheim 2080 - half flow, tried everything I can think of...

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
I have an Eheim 2080.

Previously working perfectly for 4+ years.

Noticed this week that the flow gauge was half way. It was definitely full gauge a few days before.

Immediately thought one pipe had lost suction or had been blocked etc. But nope.

So I've tried;

- making sure there are no blockages, air bubbles or kinks in either inlet pipe.
- cleaned pre filter.
- checked entire filter cannister.
- cleaned the gauge itself.
- cleaned the impeller.
- cleaned both intake pipes.

But the filter still reads as half power.

Any ideas???

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

I've got a 2080 myself. Did you actually notice a reduction in flow, or is maybe just the indicator going bad? Are the screw caps on both intake arms on tight? Are both rubber plugs for the ceramic axle intact, or are they worn?

HarleyK

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
To be honest, I haven't really noticed a reduction in flow, but I have the spray bar below the water line (aiming upwards), so I won't until I lower my tank water to do a water change. I will know for certain when I do my water change on Tuesday.

Do the indicators go bad? I had it out and cleaned it all, it all seemed in tact, there was a red washer than seemed to be split, but I didn't see how it would affect operation.

I had the axle out, everything looked fine. Both ends. Apart from being a bit slimy. I took it apart and cleaned each piece.

I'm sorry, but what part do you mean by the screw caps?

Thanks for the suggestions.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
My rubber stoppers that hold the axle in place (one on each end) wore out, which led to flow reduction by impeller inefficiencies. Check them out specifically.

With caps I mean the U-turn arms of your inlets, that hang on the tank rim. Mine once came loose and led to loss of suction, ie flow.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
Take apart and clean out the indicator spring. This can deteriorate over time. Requires all hoses off.

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
Hang on ...what do you mean the filter reads as half power ? 2080's have no readout for power ???
IF your actually talking about a 2078e which does have a readout for pump power then you need to adjust the pump output by hitting the + button.
IF you actually have a 2080 and your talking about the red lined "cleaning" indicator on the output of a 2080 then its usually the spring or red washer that is the culprit. Both can be replaced.

cfc38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
uk
if you mean a 2080 and the flow meter reads weak and youve exhausted all other avenues try this . i just had the same thing and have rsestored full power doing the following .

this was my flow meter 2 days ago

open it up and check the output connecter seal like so

the red arrow should be where the blue arrow is

take the old part out

and replace with the new 1

see how it now fits tight against impeller housing

all back together

and full power restored

cfc38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
uk
worth checking the spring on the flow meter 1st as it can become unseated . if that is ok check this . if it is the problem the part number you need is
[h=1]EHEIM 7428830[/h]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EHEIM-7428830-PROFESSIONAL-3-2080-2180-FILTER-OUTPUT-SEAL-CONNECTOR-WITH-SEALS-/151206262730

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Excellent picture info for troubleshooting, cfc38!!!!! I'm sure it will be often cited for future questions.

cfc38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
uk
i had a nightmare with mine . i bought it 2nd hand and tried everything . when i saw the spring had become unseated i thought id found the problem . but to my dismay when i fired it up it was still weak . i was just about to contact the guy i bought it from when i discovered this

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store