Hydor Temperature Malfunction?

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Hi guys,

So I have two hydors heaters (one 200 watt the other 400 watt) on my 120 gallon. They are set at opposite sides of the tank. Ever since I had them they have run a few degrees higher then what I set them at, but recently I have been concerned. I have both of my heaters set at 73 degrees F. My electronic thermometer is reading the temp at a consistent 84 degree F. Anyone have a similar problem? Any ideas or experiences. Although I am not worried with my tank being at 84 (i keep large new world cichlids) I want to have it right around 80. Any suggestions?

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I've had heaters fail in the 'always on' position. Maybe one of the two of yours is doing the same?
Im starting to think my 200 watt is because although it is set at 73F and my tank temp is 84F it still has the "on" light as it is working when it shouldn't...

1eyedbicher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
west
I've had heaters fail in the 'always on' position. Maybe one of the two of yours is doing the same?
Not to hijack Your post but I am having this issue right now w/ a couple Marineland 300w on My 125-ALWAYS on -I had to turn one down to low 70's to get the light to go off .but both My thermometers read about 82 ...is a controller the only way to combat this or is My heater in need of replacement (it's only 3 months old). I think I am goin back to jagers exclusively .

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I emailed hydor. Ill see if they respond this week. If they don't help me get it fixed imma switch too another company for good since this is second time I had a problem with their heaters

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Not to hijack Your post but I am having this issue right now w/ a couple Marineland 300w on My 125-ALWAYS on -I had to turn one down to low 70's to get the light to go off .but both My thermometers read about 82 ...is a controller the only way to combat this or is My heater in need of replacement (it's only 3 months old). I think I am goin back to jagers exclusively .
A controller would be the best safeguard, as it would act as a failsafe even if the heater's internal thermostat stops functioning. I've seen heaters go bad quickly, so it's entirely possible your 3 month old heater is malfunctioning. Unfortunate, but it happens.

I emailed hydor. Ill see if they respond this week. If they don't help me get it fixed imma switch too another company for good since this is second time I had a problem with their heaters

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Hopefully they help you out, they're usually pretty good about it.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Well got my response back. The advice was to take the heater back to the lfs for refund since it "probably was damaged during shipment". Wasn't the response I was looking for. Since this is the second hydor that did this I will no longer use this brand.

kiep

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
chicago, il
I have heater that is always on n heater that is burn out. They r from 2 different companies.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
Too cheap and too important. I haven't had one fail, but I'd throw one away at the earliest signs of malfunction.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store