Ever see natives at your LFS?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
This doesn't really go here but I wanted to get some responses quick. Going to my LFS tomorrow to get my last fish for my 75 and heard a lot of cases about people always finding natives mixed in with feeders at their LFS(s). i think that would be cool to find/rescue a native from becoming a feeder and also not having to go catch one (risking disease, even more).

So what about you guys? How often do you find natives at your LFS either mislabeled or mixed with feeders?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Ive seen plenty of natives sold in chain type stores in ohio just like any other fish, not in feeders...lg. mouth bass, tiger muskie, northern pike, paddlefish just to name a few. Hatchery overflow is my guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Ive seen plenty of natives sold in chain type stores in ohio just like any other fish, not in feeders...lg. mouth bass, tiger muskie, northern pike, paddlefish just to name a few. Hatchery overflow is my guess.

By chain type do you mean like petco and pet smart? Paddlefish!?!?!? That seems a bit extreme but I'd believe it.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
They sell paddlefish ? How big, and how much? Just curious.

Usual contaminants (as they're called) are tilapia, sunfish, various livebearers apart from guppies. They also sell tadpoles and crayfish which are native, but they are not mislabeled.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I always see channel cats for sale at my lfs.

Sent from my VS840 4G
so do i, but when I made this I meant do you guys see uncommon natives such as bluegills, LMBs, bullheads, etc. the soonest I can get to my good LFS got punched to Thursday because it's so far (40 minutes) so maybe I'll go check out my ok LFS, petco, and pet smart before then to search for natives.

still open to responses, if anyone else lives in my area of pa or even pa as a whole please let me know if you've seen natives around.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA

Usual contaminants (as they're called) are tilapia, sunfish, various livebearers apart from guppies. They also sell tadpoles and crayfish which are native, but they are not mislabeled.
Sunfish are what I'm looking for. Wonder if they have any in any fish stores in SW pa.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I have a few LFS that sell european natives. Most sell ordinary fish like Rudd or Tench but I've seen a Zander at one.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
By chain type do you mean like petco and pet smart? Paddlefish!?!?!? That seems a bit extreme but I'd believe it.
Goes by the name of "jacks" aquarium and pets in and around the columbus area. I used to hit up 3or more a day when i lived there lol...and yes paddlefish ;) saw them more than a couple times. Plenty other ohioans on here who frequent jacks.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south

They were around $100-150...this was back in 2006 but its not hard to get them from a hatchery now a days already on pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store