Coffee table builds?

TheLorax

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Houston, TX
I'm thinking of making a coffee table tank, something square and over 100 gallons, for african cichlids. How realistic is this? My main concern is how I would do the filtration, since there won't be much room underneath. Are there any examples of such a build?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Very doable and very impractical...i made a 60 gal metal frame coffee table many years ago. Hardest part as u stated is cords running everywhere and filtration. I used a pond style internal filter. Eventually i just put the tank on a wall and ran canisters. Very overrated lol...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Very doable and very impractical...i made a 60 gal metal frame coffee table many years ago. Hardest part as u stated is cords running everywhere and filtration. I used a pond style internal filter. Eventually i just put the tank on a wall and ran canisters. Very overrated lol...
It doesn't have to be. I recall a few DIY builds on here the incorporated small built-in side wet/dry filters. Wiring in a floor outlet is not difficult either.

As for the filtration I would personally design the tank with 2 built in wet/dry filters, one for each side. Think of an overflow box that has a top tray that works as a drip tray, Put your felt pad or filter floss below that then add your bio media. You can run a small 100gph pump in the bottom chamber that has a 5 or 6 inch overflow diverder to set the water level. Your only issue at that point is that you have a small sump reservoir so you need to make sure you can see into it and top off the tank water as needed to keep it filled. You should have any real issues with evaporation though.

TheLorax

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Houston, TX
Hmm, yeah I was thinking of filters on each side, but I only have experience with canisters. I searched coffee table but didn't find anything. Any good threads I could look at on here for reference?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store